Steering Column Components

dragrace505

Daily Driver
Sep 18, 2013
Hello, I have a 1980 malibu classic and I was just wondering what the following steering column components are in my stock steering column in the following pictures:

1. What's the green plastic piece?

2zghxxg.jpg

2. What's the brass looking piece?

1q3iw8.jpg

3. What's this component for?

25slyu0.jpg

4. What's the aluminum block with the three holes in it for? Is this component part of the installation kit you get with a Grant steering wheel installation kit?

2ekt11j.jpg

Thank you !!!

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
The green piece is a turn signal cancel cam. When you turn your turn signal lever to the left or right and turn the steering wheel it turns the signal off.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
1981Regal said:
The green piece is a turn signal cancel cam. When you turn your turn signal lever to the left or right and turn the steering wheel it turns the signal off.

Also functions as the horn contact...the brass ring and tower connect to the horn button/pad on the steering wheel

dragrace505

Daily Driver
Sep 18, 2013
There's also this copper post which can be depressed. There must be a spring behind it because it returns out when pressed.
What is this component for?

315fxgo.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
When the ignition is turned to the off position that pops up and engages with the lock plate to lock the wheel.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
The copper spring loaded post is for your horn it makes contact with the turn signal cam. There is a wire that attaches the the post on the turn signal cam. It's the hot for the horn button,when the button is pressed it grounds the horn circuit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!