Stepping up my cutlass...Roll Bar Questions

Trevor454

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am tossing a 150shot of nitrous on my big block as I am tired of running 12.0's, I will also need to get an 8 point roll bar as the car SHOULD go high 10's.

I am a little confused on the installation - just want to clarify if I have to weld it to the frame or use the 6x6 plates welded to the floor that come in the kit?

That should be good for now....

Anything else that I will need to run 10's in this car as far as rules go? I have a full driveshaft loop, SFI Balancer, SFI Flexplate, car will retain stock seats and seatbelts...is that alright?

Thanks guys!
-Trevor

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You can't weld to the floor, you must weld to the frame. That goes for pretty much every form of racing, every sanctioning body...

Tommy

BrianH323

Frequent Racer
Oct 6, 2003
NJ
The best thing is to get an NHRA rule book.

6 pt roll bar needs to attach to the frame. Plates are only ok on unibody cars.
You'll need a 5 pt harness that attaches to the bar, can't use the stock seat belt.
You should have a transmission shield, depends on how strict your track tech inspection is.
Single layer fire jacket.

Brian

Trevor454

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys! I finishing fitting all the tubes today, did an 8 point bar, welded to frame at 6 of the points, main hoop struts are going to be welded to 1/8" plate on floor near the driveshaft tunnel.

Is 10.99 or faster the requirement for 5 point harness and fire jacket? I think I will just show up with the cage and see what the car will run with the 150 shot - might only be low 11's... I will post up some pics once I finished all the welding!

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
If the car has a roll bar/cage in it, you should have a 5 point harness as well. At least that is what an NHRA tech official told me a couple of years ago. You absolutely have to have a 5 point harness if you are quicker than 11.50.

Trevor454

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
CutlassRacer said:
If the car has a roll bar/cage in it, you should have a 5 point harness as well. At least that is what an NHRA tech official told me a couple of years ago. You absolutely have to have a 5 point harness if you are quicker than 11.50.

Looks like I have some more welding to do...lol. I will get the harness tomorrow and a new bottle of Argon. ](*,) I ran out with 3 welds left on the cage! It's a mild steel cage, I mig welded to the frame just because it was easier to get in there, and I didn't spend a ton of time cleaning rust from frame. Tig welded everything else so it looks pretty!

So I think all I need now is a 5 point harness and mounting tab kit and car should be legal!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts