Stock Column Linkage/ 2004R

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Hi,

Finishing up a drivetrain swap and would like to have the stock column linkage manually hit all 4 gears. Presently it will only go down as far as 2nd gear.

Thanks for any help.

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Hey I am in the middle of the same swap myself.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
You will need a column out of an over drive vehicle. Your columns shift bowl is setup for a three speed and now you have a four. So that is why you only get to second gear on the overdrive trans.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Okay, thanks.

Haven't really looked at it closely, but it seems like there in no sort of adjustment in the linkage itself, yet I read on this site, that it's possible to bend the linkage rods to get into manual first.

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
gmtofd, I am still in the middle of an engine/transmission swap with a 2004R. I have done a 700R4 in the past and I had to modify that linkage a fair bit but I was able to get all the gear selections with that one.

I'll keep you posted what I find out in the next couple days.

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
OK my motor and 2004R are in and yes I have some issues as well. I have no problems with Park through Drive but start to feel a bind once the gear selector is put in the lower gears.

I will be working on this today and will post what I found/did to correct this issue.

Unfortunately my PC skills are not super and I have had problems posting pictures on this site so I won't be able to lend any visual aids.

Later

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts