Stripping chrome from aluminum wheels...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The wheels I bought for the 'Bu recently are pitted somethin' fierce. I finally got around to starting on them tonight, figured I'd give a shot at getting rid of the chrome pitting. I'd like to try chemically stripping them myself before having it done somewhere. I saw a few people have mentioned using aerosol stripper to remove the chrome, but searching elsewhere I've also seen talk of possible nickel plating under the chrome (they're factory 4th gen. F-Body/C5 wheels), I've cut through most of the pitting on one wheel & I do see copper (my understanding is the layers are base metal-copper-nickel-chrome). Being that it's middle of the night I can't exactly call any of the local body shops/powdercoat guys to get a good answer on the typical process for OE factory wheels. It kinda sucks because the outer lips and the faces of the wheels are still in good shape. I'm planning on just stripping them and painting them.
0604090255.jpg

0604090253.jpg

Any bright ideers? It's currently 4:30am and I'm feeling loopy dancin_banana.gif boring.gif

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
no but post up what you do find. The alum wheels on my 03' Safari are getting flakey under the clearcoat and it looks like a big job to strip them down.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
A little searching online today it looks like it would take a competent shop about 10 minutes to strip a bare (no tire) wheel, sounds reasonable. I still haven't seen any prices to even get an idea :? I have a number in my phone for a local powdercoating shop, but it's out in the car :roll: I'll probably see if there's any stripper at Autozone tonight, I have $20 on my Autozone rewards card thing to use :p Gotta try some different plugs in the motor anyway.

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
I'm not 100% but I dont think you can chemically strip chrome. Might need to be bead blasted.. call your local powdercoater they should know.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Stripper is for sprayed on coatings like paint, not platings. Plating is just what it sounds like-electrostatically applied metal plating. Unfortunately you'll probably need to get some good sandblasting stuff or better yet, have them done by a plating shop. They usually dip in 15% sulfuric acid bath with a negative DC charge.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, I figured, just thought I'd give the stripper a shot first.
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38892

I'll see if one of the local shops are open tomorrow and try to get a price. The tires are still on the wheels, will that matter?

shadychevyowner

Dragway Regular
Jun 28, 2005
Numidia Pa
i the R/c world we use (easy off oven cleaner.)
Removes chrome from plastic and it removes Anodizing from aluminum like you wouldn't believe.
idk if it would touch chrome on aluminum but spray it on and let sit 10mins then hit it with scotch bright.(it will etch the aluminum if it sits to long)

its go to bee the good stuff not that sissy save environment crap.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts