Stuck Lug Nut

patsnavy

Daily Driver
Aug 8, 2007
Hey everyone, I know this is kinda silly, but some advice is greatly appreciated.
I was doing my rims today, and well I stripped out the lock. Seems that the key and lock were dissimilar metals, with the key being steel and the lug being something else. My guess was aluminum. Anyway, the lock got stripped out and now the dang thing wont back out off the stud. Aside from alot of cussing, breaking the stud and possibly putting a breaker bar through the windshield in my frustration, does anyone have any suggestions? :x :evil:

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
i had that happen a couple times. the last time, i took a cutoff wheel and(very carefully)ground flats into opposing sides of the offending fastener, then snapped on the biggest pair of vise grips i own, and yanked on the f'er til it broke loose. i'm sure there are other good ways that won't destroy your wheel, but this is how i did it. if you're especially good, you could even grind a hex shape into the lock so you can slip on a socket. :D unless you've got sunken lugs, then i'm lost.

winditup57

Dragway Regular
Jun 6, 2006
Davenport, IA
Get a 12 pt socket that just barely wont fit over the entire lug and beat it on with a big hammer. it will ruin the lugnut, but if the "key" is sh*t, who cares. I had to do this on my last set of wheels because I lost my key.(then found it the next day, lol) I used a craftsman socket and it didnt hurt it a bit, plus if it does, they are garunteed.

Once you break it lose knock the socket off and go to the next wheel if you have to.

Plus you only need to go on about a 1/4 of an inch. Hope this helps.

cdeezy2003

Amateur Racer
Jul 15, 2007
xenia, ohio
lug

first put all the other lugs back on, tighten all of them till you feel like there gonna break. put the biggest vise grips you can fit on the stripped lug and usually you can back it off without to much problem.

skostur79

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2006
ne ohio
air hammer with chisel bit

or they make a lock removal socket that works in reverse with your impact

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
winditup57 said:
Get a 12 pt socket that just barely wont fit over the entire lug and beat it on with a big hammer. it will ruin the lugnut, but if the "key" is ####, who cares. I had to do this on my last set of wheels because I lost my key.(then found it the next day, lol) I used a craftsman socket and it didnt hurt it a bit, plus if it does, they are garunteed.

Once you break it lose knock the socket off and go to the next wheel if you have to.

this is what i have done, and it works great... i forget whether its an 18 or 19mm socket you need to use. took like 2 min to get off once i got the socket.

A

Anonymous

Don't listen to these guys..They're all crazy.

3 Sticks of TNT... Job done. 8)

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Malibu350 said:
Don't listen to these guys..They're all crazy.

3 Sticks of TNT... Job done. 8)

Then you can upgrade to tubular control arms and better disc brakes after the smoke clears. :lol: 8)

A

Anonymous

MISFITmalibu63 said:
winditup57 said:
Get a 12 pt socket that just barely wont fit over the entire lug and beat it on with a big hammer. it will ruin the lugnut, but if the "key" is ####, who cares. I had to do this on my last set of wheels because I lost my key.(then found it the next day, lol) I used a craftsman socket and it didnt hurt it a bit, plus if it does, they are garunteed.

this is what i have done, and it works great... i forget whether its an 18 or 19mm socket you need to use. took like 2 min to get off once i got the socket.
thats how I do it too. At my old work we would always have to call them and ask where the key was...the answer was always "uhhh, I don't know. the glovebox maybe."

They were never there so out came the socket and a sledge.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!