Suggestions for 6.0 swap into Cutlass

cutlass-388

Amateur Racer
Oct 30, 2010
Coventry, CT
New to this LS swap idea, and I can get an LQ4 6.0 from a truck for $500 with harness and ecm. Now this is what I already have in the car, 2004R all good parts in it with an Art Carr 3400 non-lock up anti balloon plate converter, 8.5 rear with 4.10's moser axles Posi unit fresh steels and clutches and a girdle. Right now the 383 in the car gets the car to cosistent times between 12.25 and 12.30's I guess a cam swap is automatic with long tubes and I am undecided on the injection or carb route right now. Any one have suggestions as to how big a cam and what size primaries for the headers? I am a novice to the LS platform but anything is possible. I have zippers on this Gen 1 and know it inside and out. I would just like to get with the times and go the LS swap over the winter, so I am asking questions now. Do you guys think that an 11.50 pass is reasonable to get out of this without breaking the bank? Thanx for any help

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
Your goals are reasonable and not hard to obtain....My car ran a 11.77 with stock truck heads, a cam, 1 3/4 longtubes, victor jr and a 750 holley...4.10 gears and a a junk 3500 tci nitrous convertor...right off the trailor no tuning on the thing....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUKTypPzoY&list=FLO1I9kSBGGvlnPowqR4UBTQ&index=82&feature=plpp_video
my camshaft is a off the shelf cam I would get one custom made for your setup if you can...I will next time around...its a magic stick 4 from texas speed....the low compression of my lq4 hurts it I'm sure...

cutlass-388

Amateur Racer
Oct 30, 2010
Coventry, CT
Thanx for the reply, your thread on your build is awesome. Really good photos and informative for a guy like me. Your car is beautiful and I am sure the hours spent on it have been worth it. I have a little understanding about the carbed setup and was wondering about the MSD boxes used to fire the ignition. How much timing is used in these LS swaps, and how is it adjustable? I have a dedicated fuel system in the car right now and was thinking of spraying a 150 at this 383 before I do the swap. My question for spraying the 6.0 is what do you use to pull out timing on the LS swap box? Thanx again the info and help. Car is beautiful!!

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
Thanks man, being my first car it means alot to me...Carbed setup's seem to like more timing than their fuel injected brothers...Mine liked 36 degrees others less...It's all adjustable thru the msd program they send with the box..Just hook your laptop up and it's really easy to use.....It also has a timing retard built in as well which is adjustable...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts