summit wheels

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I'm looking into wheels for my malibu when I get it mini tubbed. Has anyone used the cheap summit aluminum wheels? They are like $134 and come in any size. I thought that if i was going to drill them and put slicks on them i would want cheaper wheels. I will probably run high 9's so strength is also important.
brian

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I was at Summit in Atlanta (McDonough, GA) for the specific reason to look at wheels while my was at the exit down checking out Coach purses at the Outlet stores.......from what everything looked to be good quality. I was interested in the Summit gray 5 star and the Rocket gray 5 star for my Regal and when I get the right back spacing and springs for the right stance I will pull the trigger.....but I havent seen anyone use the weld style wheels but the gray Summit 5 star I ve seen on Trucks tv in their old school shop truck build but the JEGS version of the weld style wheels I know a guy running them on a 6.0 class Mustang with a Chevy motor......he liked them with no complaints.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I have a set on my malibu and am very happy with them, they are a 1 piece rim not 2 piece like the welds. I would buy another set again.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
like bowtie said they are one pc...i have a set of the weld style..they are ok..i dont think they are polished as nice as real welds are...i have also noticed that mine seem to hold water spots..kinda have to put a little elbow grease into them if you dont get them wiped off right away..but my major complaint was summit said they were made in mexico..when they were made in china..i probaly would not have bought them knowing that..but no biggie life moves on..lol

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
The Summit and Jeg's ProStar copies are pretty nice wheels, only downfall is the lug nut bores. They use a tapered seat(stock style) lug nut, so the holes for the lug nuts/wheel studs is very deep and not much clearance for the socket. If you aren't carefull the socket will twist sideways and lock in the hole. On a real Weld wheel they use shank style lug nuts that do not countersink into the wheel. I was pleased with mine other than the lug nut issues. I would not buy these for a dedicated race car, but for a street car with reasonable power they should be fine.

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
I was looking into getting the 17x8 stars for tha rear and 15x6 or 7 up front using a 45 series drag radial for the rears. Not to thread jack but what would y'all think of this combo? Im running a sb 350 vortec w/a Comp cam, Th350 turbo w/ B&M 2100 stall & shift kit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!