swapping from bench to bucket seats

jabo

May 18, 2011
Hi everyone, new to this site. I have a 80 malibu with a bench seat in it & i wanted to switch to buckets. My question is what would be a good donor vehicle & what all do i have to do to accomplish this. Thanks! :-k

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
Any g-body equipped with buckets will be a good donor for a direct fit but you will need the brackets that are welded to the floor pans.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Actually any g-body that has buckets or a split bench seat have the same floor mounts. The split benchs' came in many of the Regal's and Cutlass' you should get the seat tracks from a g-body bucket seat car then you bolt almost any GM bucket seat to the track with no mods. Dont do the stack of washers and drill a hole trick. You wont be happy and most likely the seats wont be straight and level either. JMO

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Give Mike from Mikes Montes a call if you want to buy new brackets. Its much easier than cutting out an old set.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
There were 11 spot welds on each bracket holding them to the floor. If you do get used ones, do yourself a favor & buy a spot weld cutter. You'll thank me later LOL

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
StreetBu said:
...........................................................If you do get used ones, do yourself a favor & buy a spot weld cutter. You'll thank me later LOL

X2.
Makes the job a whole lot easier!

jabo

May 18, 2011
so just get the brackets & the seats will bolt right in. Am i going to have to weld the brackets to my floor board?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Yes you will have to weld them in.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey Jabo, I used four bench seat frames on a few of my Malibu`s. As for bucket seats, I think almost any GM bucket seat will bolt up to the stock Malibu/G-body seat tracks. My 78 El Camino came factory with bucket seat, I found a better looking bucket seats at a yard sale from a S10 Blazer. The Blazer seats bolted right up the the El Camino seat track`s. Im sure you could use bench seat mounting stands from another G-body. When you cut them out leave some floor with them so you can screw the mounting stands to the floor if you dont have access to a welder. Well I hope these tips and tricks will have you in a set of bucket seats soon. Doug

jabo

May 18, 2011
So i can use the mounting points where the bench seat already bolts & just make mounting points by the tunnel for both sides?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!