sway bar or anti-roll bar

1980malibu406

Mar 17, 2010
what are the pros and cons of each set-up, is there a limit to what a rear sway bar can do ?even the bmr xtreme bar, is there a point, performance wise where it best to go with a anti-roll bar

A

Anonymous

I am sure there are people that can give you a more technical answer, but here is my version. If you drag race and the front wheels come off the ground with the driver side front higher, causing body flex and twist, then you should use an anti-roll bar. If you drive the car regularly on the street and it doesn't get the tires off the ground, then you will get far better handling with an anti-sway bar. If you are somewhere in the middle, like most people running 12s or slower at the track, but not really driving it much on the street, then you can get away with having neither and save the weight and cost.

Greg

1980malibu406

Mar 17, 2010
well i am guessing that i should be looking at an anti-roll bar, i will have the car ready a little later in the summer but it will be pretty stout, 406 ci, 13.5:1 , 14 degree heads, pretty stout solid roller, turbo 400, ati converter, 8.5 inch from grand national with spool, axles and 4.88's. I am probably looking at low 10 second to high 9's et's, although the car will see very limited street use i am thinking the anti-roll bar is the way to go for me, i have heard that people using an anti-roll bar will just disconnect one end link when driving on the street. Any more imput would be greatly appreciated as i have seen the bmr piece on some very serious rides.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts