Tach install question...

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Okay, this is not for a g-body car but is still GM and I can't find a diagram anywhere. I have a 1974 Chevy K20 that I put a tach/gauge cluster into from a C60 BIG truck-the cluster is pristine and I couldn't pass it up. Anyway, has anybody installed a factory tach in a 73-86 Chevy truck before? Where do the leads go? I am used to seeing filters on Montes, etc. but this tach does not have one. I can post a pic of it if anybody wants to see it. Thanks in advance.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
white wire goes to a dash light.
red wire goes to a 12volt ignition switch.
black wire is the ground.
green wire goes to the TACH TERMINAL on the distributer or the - side on the coil.

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
The wire harness for the truck tach has only three wires...one tan, one black and one pink w/black stripe.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
DOUG213XRJ was talking about an aftermarket tach :lol:

Have you done some searching on Google? I've checked a little but haven't seen much yet on schematics.

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
Here's a pic of a couple of clusters I sold last year..you can see the wiring harness up front. The black connector goes to the back of the housing at tach location....pink wire with white connector goes to power/igniton in the fuse block, white wire runs out the distributor and the black was grounded.

p9250051.jpg

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
That is the exact style of tach setup I was looking for when I found the one I did. Yours look like they were in nice shape, too! Thanks for the info-I had three wires...a pink w/blk stripe (IGN. +12V), a black wire wiht a slide on ground clamp and a tan wire for the dist. tach terminal. But, on the back of the cluster next to the tach plug in it says run at 1/2 engine speed only so I assume this cluster came from a diesel truck....i am now wondering if I can simply wire a resistor inline to the dist. lead or use a tach filter from say, a Monte SS to do this. I can't find a diagram showing a filter but I also am unsure what resistance rating to put it at...I may just buy an assortment of resistors and see what happens. I started the truck and @ idle the tach was reading 1600 RPM's...lol. I am still going to try and find a different tach assembly even though after cleaning this one, I like the way it looks a lot! Areally clean assembly sells for roughly 100-125 on Ebay but they are all dirty to an extent so it's a toss-up...after all, these tach clusters are getting pretty damn old...mine works great save for the tach jumping too high.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It won't simply be a resistor in-line to correct the rpm reading. There is a capacitor/resistor combo somewhere on the circuit board to get the correct reading. Same way with the G-Body, F-Body, etc. tachs. I came across a tach at the junkyard recently that is something like 40% off, a really weird #. My current tach still isn't quite right either, it's about 9% high still (reads 2400rpm @ 2200rpm).

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
Idk, there is only a three wire plug in with no resistors, capacitors, etc. anywhere to be found on the circuit board...looks like I need to get a hold of a GM electrical manual for this truck.

ccjohn2

Weekend Racer
Feb 5, 2004
NW Indiana
Doober said:
It won't simply be a resistor in-line to correct the rpm reading. There is a capacitor/resistor combo somewhere on the circuit board to get the correct reading. Same way with the G-Body, F-Body, etc. tachs. I came across a tach at the junkyard recently that is something like 40% off, a really weird #. My current tach still isn't quite right either, it's about 9% high still (reads 2400rpm @ 2200rpm).

Doober, I just purchased a tach filter and I'm trying to figure how it's wired in the tach circuit. I'm putting a tach from a '91 Trans Am in my car. I've heard that the filters are sometimes mounted on the firewall of the vehicle, any truth to this? If you know of a wiring diagram I would appreciate it. CJay

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts