Theft damage to steering column

Gregc

Dec 10, 2014
Someone broke into my 78 classic yesterday and attempted to steal it. The battery was dead though, luckily. Now, I'm trying my best to get this thing fixed asap. The ignition is busted, the steering wheel lock is busted, and the column was cracked open on the left side for access to the ignition rod.

How much do I need to replace? I found this aftermarket kit here:http://tinyurl.com/lmusepq
What else am I forgetting?

10842029_10152965461626584_6683924880703855991_o.jpg

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
You'd probably be better off getting a whole new steering column from the scrap yard, that's what i had to do when mine got stolen.

Gregc

Dec 10, 2014
I was able to get a guy to fix it like new, parts and labor, fairly inexpensive.

On a similar note, I'm doing a lot of security modifications to this car now. Has anyone ever used a steadfast anti-theft collar on their malibu? I hear what makes them good is what makes them bad ... the trouble taking them off. I know it's only one layer of security, but I don't feel like having to get my steering column worked on if someone finds my car easy enough to enter.

I'll also be going the kill switch route. Any other suggestions?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I installed a carbine alarm with a built in kill switch on it, works great. Too bad i didn't have it before mine was stolen.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!