thinking of turboing the old bu

78elcamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
spokane wa
I have been thinking about this for awhile now of turboing the malibu, filling the bottle will get old after while even though i will prob lieve it on the car haha. I no alot needs to be changed in my combo to do this, but im wanting to hear idea's on what I would need. I dont have a huge budget but I dont really want ebay turbos either. Ill put the combo as it sits now.
383sbc 4 bolt main.
forged 4340 eagle crank 3.750 stroke
forged 4340 H beam 6in rods
forged probe pistons 11 to 1(needs changed haha)
main studs and good bolts in everything block is not filled and engine is zero decked
sportman 2 heads ported
vic jr ported also with pro systems fogger, 850cfm carb
cam is a 582 586 mech roller( needs to be changed i would think)
th350 4000stall and a brake
9in ford spool 4.56 gears(needs to be changed.

I dont no what would be best single or twins, this car is street driven and i would maybe like to see it a little more drive able turbo then how it sits now. I no I want to intercool it maybe a2a or a2w. I want to be able to have a passanger so maybe a2a. The thing that has always scared me is the fab work, its got to look nice not a hack job.
if anyone has some idea's im open ears.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Short answer there isn't one.

You'll need pistons and rings, a rod change would help with piston the ring design.
Also upgraded head gaskets and a cam change.
Gear and possible a new spool to fit the lower gear.

Before we even talk about a turbo can the Chassis, Trans, Conv, handle double the hp it is making now n/a?
Ignition system? If not all these need upgrading.

Fuel system? Holley rainbow colored pumps won't do.
New fuel pump, feed and return lines, by-passing regulator, and fittings.
Carb bonnet & spacer, Carb mods or CSU - C&S custom.
Headers, Flanges, V-bands, Cross-over, JGS Wagstegate.
JGS BOV, cold side plumbing, Silicone couplings, t-bolts, A/W, Tank, Pump.

Oh did you want a turbo too....
Oil Feed and return lines. Mounting bracket.
AND a Turbo.
Single would be fine. AND do not get a small framed t-4. Get a T-6 large frame.
You have a big motor and need a turbo to feed it.

Of course we haven't even looking at Boost controllers. Traction control.

Not being harsh just honest. It takes alot to get this done.
Feel free to contact me about any of this. We have specials for M/R members.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
What about getting a small blower and keeping the bottle and using both? Im sure you could find one of them pretty cheap and then save for the turbo setup you want.

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
this is some thing he and i have talking about at work a little each day from what i under stand he is not going to just jump into the turbo he is going to run the bottle until he can get the turbo build ready then switch over

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
siege said:
this is some thing he and i have talking about at work a little each day from what i under stand he is not going to just jump into the turbo he is going to run the bottle until he can get the turbo build ready then switch over

That is cool. Some have the misconception that they buy and turbo and they're ready.
There is a lot more to it. If you don't invest enough into every part you only be disappointed. Or worse it could cause a massive failure.

The initial switch has some dollars attached but, in the end it can be cheaper. We used to take 12-18 bottles and a re-fill station for a day or two of racing. It gets old real fast. Turbos don't need re-filling.

78elcamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
spokane wa
I no its going to take me sometime to get all the parts needed to do this and thats fine i no i left some details out, the fuel system is a a1000 with 10an lines to a areomotive reg that is boost referrance one. Im thinking a single is the way to go. the car now has only a 8 point bar in it. I was kinda hoping to make due with the rods i have but if it has to be done i could swap them out.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
78elcamino said:
I no its going to take me sometime to get all the parts needed to do this and thats fine i no i left some details out, the fuel system is a a1000 with 10an lines to a areomotive reg that is boost referrance one. Im thinking a single is the way to go. the car now has only a 8 point bar in it. I was kinda hoping to make due with the rods i have but if it has to be done i could swap them out.

Is all good. The rods could be kept. The ring stack will suffer. A shorter rod will allow a stronger upper land and move the rings away from the heat. Plus the rod ratio bs is tossed out the window for forced induction.
The A1000 is a good pump are you getting the 13202 or 13204 regulator. It makes a difference.

siege

Amateur Racer
Oct 6, 2009
which turbo would you run on this set up Robert we have been talking about a single s400 80 mm or are we way off on this.
Also Will from over at the turbo forums gave you a great recommendation.

78elcamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
spokane wa
it may be worth switching the rods then just to make it safer. I already have the 13204 reg will that one work ok or no?? I know there is alot of parts and alot of planning to do to get this done this is why im just trying to figure out a game plan and a parts list. The th350 is built well but may not handle the power if that happens a glide or a th400 will be built, when i built it I was only planning on spraying this car in the range of 250 or so. it may not hold to the power I could be making on turbo.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
siege said:
which turbo would you run on this set up Robert we have been talking about a single s400 80 mm or are we way off on this.
Also Will from over at the turbo forums gave you a great recommendation.

Wil is a good guy. Really a nice guy but he tries come off as a tough guy, don't tell I said that.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts