Those running aftermarket gauges with their swap..

samh_08

Daily Driver
Oct 28, 2008
What is the deal with the tach signal on these engines? I have all autometer gauges, all work but the tach so far. First I need to see if the signal is even present in the wire, so how and what am I looking to see in the test?

Autometer says I need part number 9117 which means I have to cut and splice into my coil power supplies..Obviously this is my last resort. I would like to know what everyone did in order to get their tach working properly. BTW I also have EFIlive if that helps matters.

Let me know, thanks.
Sam

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Is the tach working at all? Reading too high?

If its reading too high, you have to change the ECM output for the tach. In HPTuners its called Tachometer resolution High/Low. Both values must be set to 3.

I just hooked the ECM wire right up to my tach and I was done. The signal is probably a square wave im guessing and cant be easily checked without an o'scope if so.

samh_08

Daily Driver
Oct 28, 2008
The needle doesnt move at all. I have good ignition and ground. I have a new tach on the way if that is the case, but I would like to eliminate all other variables. What is the reasoning for setting 'Tachometer resolution High/Low' to 3? So it divides 24 tooth reluctor wheel by 3 to make a 8 cyl signal?

I assume the tach signal is a square wave with voltages 0 and 5, so if I hook my multimeter up on the tach signal wire and start it up I should get a voltage right? Most meters wouldnt be fast enough to see 0 and 5, but should show a voltage between 0 and 5 depending on engine speed.

Am I thinking straight? What year PCM and harness are you using?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Yes, I believe you should see a 5v signal if hooked to a DMM, but I have honestly forgotten all that technical stuff.

I am not sure what formula is involved with that tach setting, I just know that my stock setting was 6 and it had to be changed to 3 make the Autometer tach read correctly.

My ECM/Harness are from an '02 2500 truck.

samh_08

Daily Driver
Oct 28, 2008
Not if you do not run into problems, but either way, the signal is the same from carb to fuel injection

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts