Thoughts on trying to use an LSx f-body fuel tank?

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO
I got a complete LS1 camaro fuel tank off craigslist for $50 and thought it was cheap enough to see about making it work. My initial thought was to just use the pump setup in the g-body tank b/c it has the basket that's better for cornering and hard accel. But then the thought popped into my head to use the entire tank.

So, Sat I dropped the g-body tank and lifted the f-body tank into it's place. My only concern is how low the sump of the tank gets. It was almost as low as the bottom of the differential. About 2" higher. I thought about notching the trunk floor and raising it up, but then that brings on another couple weeks of fab on a build that's supposed to be somewhat quick (for me) and low buck.

My other thought was to drop the pump assembly into the g-body tank but end up shortening the height of the assembly so it fits, but I haven't pulled it out yet to see how much it can be done and if it will fit afterward.

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
Theres a guy who did use the fbody fuel bucket on his Olds Delta88 LS1 swap, iirc it required some cutting and rewelding of the tank, which of course was a brand new one to keep the local fire dept happy. But if you can go to your local self service jy and use the 4.3 tbi MC tank or luck up on a GN, or T-Type tank with the sender and then theres no modding to be done.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Deuce4935 said:
Theres a guy who did use the fbody fuel bucket on his Olds Delta88 LS1 swap, iirc it required some cutting and rewelding of the tank, which of course was a brand new one to keep the local fire dept happy. But if you can go to your local self service jy and use the 4.3 tbi MC tank or luck up on a GN, or T-Type tank with the sender and then theres no modding to be done.
The G-Body tanks and senders are also available new if you want to go that route.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!