TIMING CHAIN -VS- GEAR DRIVE

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
I'm looking to switch out the double roller timing chain, and go to a gear drive setup. I've spoke to couple engine builders...and people in general, and they are flat out, against the gear drive. Yeah..I like the "noise" but I always thought, it's so accurate.
I'm basically, looking for opinions (or experiences) using both setups.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I had a quiet Pete Jackson drive in a 67 Nova. Waste of money. Get a quality chain and forget it. And put the rest of the $ in your pocket.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Ed Cannon said:
I had a quiet Pete Jackson drive in a 67 Nova. Waste of money. Get a quality chain and forget it. And put the rest of the $ in your pocket.
x2

91hrdbdy

Daily Driver
Feb 23, 2012
okay let me ask both of you WHY?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
91hrdbdy said:
okay let me ask both of you WHY?
I've heard of the teeth breaking under heavy loads and rpm for extended periods.
They are fine for street use

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
one would think that if timing gears were so good that every oe would use them over a chain or a belt.right?wrong.as far as it being so accurate,is this the type of build that needs timing THAT accurate?not likely.i can't see a chain stretching THAT much in any amount of time where you'll notice it. yea the noisy design sounds cool for less than a week then it's an annoyance.you'll be looking for louder mufflers.save your money,buy a double roller.

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
Joel, if your just building yourself a nice street car and not going to be going to the track all the time.Go for the gear drive, I had one it was fine no issues. It was the loud one, I was young to. I have never seen one go bad, I have heard of guys breaking the camshafts and all. never seen it though. Like I said if it's just a nice street rod you should be fine!

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
I have a double roller in the motor already! I just wasn't sure what the benefits (of any) of the gear drive over the the timing chain...or vice versa. Thanks for all the info/experiences. It really helps in decision making!

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
Yes! It's a street car. I might do occasional strip...not much at all!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!