timing question

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
ok finally got the malibu to the track last night..real hot and windy...1st run intial set at 10 deg. ran 12.06 letting out @ 1000ft..took out 4 deg... ran [email protected] out 2 more..ran 12.40 spinning (tried to leave at 2k didnt heat the tires enough)....tried taking out another 2 ..lol.. it wont even [email protected] i know i need to do some distr. recurving to pull out advance up top..but realisticly how low can i go(timing)..i would guess it doesnt like below 4..maybe i already have the answer..just checking to see if i'm missing some thing..this is a street strip car to be driven to and from the track..we are trying to slow it down to 12.50..this patriot 383 rocks!..any ideas??...

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If you wanna slow down, why not just adjust the throttle cable or make some sort of a stop to limit full throttle?

Tommy

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
my street class doesnt allow throttle stops...ok, but theres a catch i'm trying to get the wheels up while running over 12.5..i probaly will be adding weight in the rear of the car..but i would like to get it running the 12.50 then start adding weight to give more cushion??..its never easy!..lol

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
I am pretty sure when they so no throttle stops the rules are applying to electric throttle stops like on high end race cars and dragsters. If you made a simple mechanical throttle stop (metal bracket) I am sure it would be legal. If you we're clever you could incorporate in an adjustable bolt to adjust it to your liking. As far as the wheels up thing goes I think it would draw attention to the possibility that you are sandbagging.

If you really want to be wheels up and still run 12.50's why not launch hard and shift at real low rpm points.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
i'm letting it shift itself @ 5500...i know what you are saying about the adjustable stop part ..but i know the wheels up part will raise some eyebrows...and a closer tech inspection.trying to bypass the drama that might take place there thats all...i have thought about not running secondaries..there is a guy at the track doing so on his car , but i have not had a chance to talk to him..or know the effects on the launch..just some ideas running through my head..looking for other ideas...i was hoping i could slow it down with timing.that part not looking so ez..lol..thanks for the input

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
I guess you could run a 500 2 barrel holley on your intake. Circle track classes run them to limit horsepower output

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
no need for the 500 i could just disconect the secondary's and wire them closed....i might just change the govener springs/weights and lower the shift points...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts