Timing Tab (HELP!!!!)

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
Apparently I have no idea how to read this factory timing tab. It has some timing marks on a tab but at the bottom end of it there is a tube? I dont see any numbers on the tab so I cant figure out what line I use for TDC? Has anyone seen a timing tab like this before? Help would be greatly appreciated!

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
There should be a triangle that is bigger than the rest, that will be your zero mark. And each mark will be 2 degrees

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
Tried it on that big triangle and it just wont start. Not real sure what is wrong. Had the intake off thinking that i had a collapsed lifter but after i had it apart i realized an intake bolt was too long and was getting into the push rod. Put it back together and am trying to set my timing. Just doesnt seem to want to run on any place on the tab. I did notice my rotor button was a bit dark in the middle before i put it back in. Could that be a problem? Engine is in a 77 Nove. Engine is out of a 68-69 Chevy of some sort. Is suppose to be a 350 but am really thinking its a 327 after looking up all the numbers.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
You may have the timing out 180, bring it up on #1 again and pull the dizzy out and turn it 180 and drop it back in. Does it want to start or backfire? some 327 and 350's had the same casting #.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
sounds to me like the damper and the timing cover are not a matched set. 68-69 did not use a timing tab with a hole.

I am going to guess that the tab is directly above the damper, behind the water pump. Your damper may require a tab that is about 30 degrees away from where it is now.

You may have to calibrate your damper to your timing tab. To do that you will need a piston top and a degree wheel. You can print a degree wheel from the internet (search and you will find).

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
bowtie81 said:
You may have the timing out 180, bring it up on #1 again and pull the dizzy out and turn it 180 and drop it back in. Does it want to start or backfire? some 327 and 350's had the same casting #.
Yeah it tries to turn over but it just wants to spit and not sputter lol. Ill try the 180> When I pull it out and turn it 180. do i drop it back in and then start the TDC thing all over again?

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
t5montecarlo said:
sounds to me like the damper and the timing cover are not a matched set. 68-69 did not use a timing tab with a hole.

I am going to guess that the tab is directly above the damper, behind the water pump. Your damper may require a tab that is about 30 degrees away from where it is now.

You may have to calibrate your damper to your timing tab. To do that you will need a piston top and a degree wheel. You can print a degree wheel from the internet (search and you will find).

the cover that is on its looks just like this one...http://www.motorpartscentral.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=15083

Was on it when i got the engine! Just see lines but no numbers on.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
did you ever try and time it before you took it apart?

beware of long bolts on the intake.

try the piston stop/degree wheel and see if your damper agrees with the timing tab.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
thats the same one i have on my 350 and its an 80-85 block with the 8 inch balancer

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
t5montecarlo said:

X2. I got treed! :lol:

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!