torpedo heater

ohioelcamino1

Oct 17, 2009
hi guys

my question is will a kerosene torpedo heater effect the paint while im painting (and no im not spraying with it on) im having problems with it wrinkling in spots and its doing it between coats . but it's not consistent

thanks

fil

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
running a heater powered by kero,diesel,home heating oil,soybean oil,or any other oil/petro based fuel will cause fisheyes,that is a smaller round spot where the paint will not adhere and yes it looks like an eye of a fish.from the sounds of it,it maybe contamination.but it sounds like its on the surface to start.if your going to use heat like that,apply the heat after you spray LONG AFTER THE FUMES HAVE CLEARED.NO ONE LIKES MUSHROOM CLOUDS IN THE HOUSE.if nothing else besure to clean all your surfaces before you apply anything.it could be something as simple as your not wearing gloves etc.etc.what are you cleaning this with before hand?the more you spill on here the easyier it would be for someone to lend a hand.

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
I owned a kerosene heater store for many years and never heard of "wrinkling" from heater use between coats from customers or had problems myself. When I lived up north I'd paint outside if it was above 45 degrees (low temp thinner) and put the car in garage then turn on the heaters. NO BUGS!!!

Can you explain more about the wrinkles as to what they look like or where they are occuring?

ohioelcamino1

Oct 17, 2009
hi guys

the wrinkles look like spraying wrinkle finish. and it does look like something got on the metal or paint but nothing did i was the only person in the garage and it was between coats. the last place it wrinkled was my brake booster which i was just putting a finish coat on it and the top 1/4 of it just wrinkled but the rest didnt. but it does look like something got on it but i dont see how

shaggydjlg

Amateur Racer
Dec 31, 2007
Hersey,Mich
your wrinkle problem sounds like paint shrinkage it could be caused by not allowing the paint to dry long enough before applying another coat or u applied too much at one time. Do u have too much thinner in paint or clear? Did u allow the cleaner to dry before painting?? There is a number of things that it could be but these tips are at the top of my list.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts