trans and rear pinion 2 inches off

killermike1128

Mar 21, 2012
hello everybody my name is mike. i have a question. last weekend i went and picked my driveshaft up and went to put it in a 80 malibu and noticed that my driveshaft did not look at all centered. so i took it out, got me a good straight line off the frame with a plumb bob chalked a line and then plumb bobbed off the pinion and trans. well the trans is dead center @2 ft and the center of my pinion is 22 inches(2 inches off to the passenger side). so i called the shop that set the rear end up(9in ford) and the guy that owns the place came over to my house and took a look at it. we put the drive shaft in, put the cars weight on the rear end to make sure that the tunnel of the car wouldnt be in the way and there was plenty of room even for suspension travel. the guy looked at me and said "that will work". i want to trust the guy, my dad has known him for years but something about the hole situation just doesnt make since to me. am i wrong? is it ok for the rear pinion to be off 2inches from center of the trans? the guy also said that if it was a shorter driveshaft he would be worried about it but since its longer it wont be a problem is this right? just trying to get a second opinion. the car is street/strip with a 468 backed up with a th400 and a 9inford. please help and thank you

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
barnym17 said:
It should be fine almost all 9 inch rears are set up like this at the factory.

X2. That also allows both your axles to be the same length.

Tommy

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
ford did that on purpose, the reason is so the needle bearings rotate in your u joints ......this helps to keep the joint cool and eliminate flat spots on the needles.......gm sets the engine and trans to one side about one inch...........you'll be fine.........

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts