trans cooler on a drag ONLY car?

• no

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • yes

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

woody31

Frequent Racer
Many cars and trucks have trans coolers on them ,,even from the factory,,heavy duty trucks and cop cars come with them. If you keep the trans cooler it will live longer..cheers..

Many dedicated drag-racing only applications can get away with not running a transmission cooler. Naturally aspirated and nitrous combinations have the best chance of not having to use a transmission cooler. Most supercharged and ALL turbocharged combinations need a transmission cooler.

We have several customers with mid-to-high 4-second (1/8 mile) nitrous cars that do not use a cooler and are able to maintain transmission fluid temperature in the 160-degree range throughout a day of racing. The key is to monitor transmission fluid temperature. If you can keep it under 200 then you won't need a cooler.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
that's pretty much what i've been told pete. my trans cooler started leaking after my last trip to the track. when i mentioned it to some other guys, they were surprised i was even running one. i had planned to replace it with braided line, AN fittings, and a new cooler. but, i'm thinking i might try a season without and see what happens. might help get some heat into the trans and converter quicker too (for the first run of the day, or when there's a couple hours between runs and the trans is colder). i guess a trans temp guage might be a good investment if i go that route.

thanks for the input guys. i still welcome other opinions/experience on the subject.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I still use one on mine. I wouldn't think of trying without it. You have a bracket car. You drive it around the pits, you idle it. You don't tow it to the line and shut it off and coast after the stripe.

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
I also run a trans cooler and I run it through the radiator cooler too. I've found that by doing this it has assisted me in getting the temp up a little faster and also has helped to maintain a consistent temp as I have a trans temp gauge also. I also have an aux fan mounted on the cooler since there are times I dbl class my car and need to cool the trans down sooner than just the cooler would provide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,938

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Carl Rossler talked me out of the cooler on my glide. Been in the car several years now, fluid always bright red, still original clutches & steels, all looked good last summer when I swapped the planetaries.

Mine doesn't use a loop, rather the pump was modified to eliminate the cooler circuit and the case is simply plugged.

Carl went so far to say he has an employee that has a street strip car with no cooler.

His explanation on a drag car is the car is not running long enough to get enough air through the cooler fins to drop the temperature. You would need a fan cooled cooler and run the fan all the time to get any benefit.

My car being a heads up car the lack of a cooler & lines means less potential leaks points.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!