trick front springs

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
well, i'm looking into getting some trick springs for the front and rear of my car. i currenty have 6 cyl springs in the front and the heavy load stock coils that came on the car. i need to know what springs to order. i don't have access to scales to weigh the front end of the car...so which ones do i get? i have a sbc, no heat or a/c, no power steering, no wipers, lift-off glass hood....not sure what else i need to mention. what springs have you guys run up front?

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I have a big block 80 wagon, right now I have small block springs with 2" drop spindles. I have the stock wagon springs in the back with air lift drag bags. The car has comp. engineering shocks all around. The car works {leaving the line } good. Although I would like it to sit a little lower, maybe 2" in the back. The leaves nice and goes straight so I ain't gonna change it for now!! Wagondude

darius smith

Amateur Racer
Jul 12, 2006
fort valley, ga
I went #212 and cut a coil and half off and this is the look in my avatar. if you drive the car alot on the street just put them in and see how much they drop before you cut them.

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
Trick springs are a gimmick, if you ask me. I don't believe you gain any advantage by using them. I have stock V6 springs in the front of my wagon and stock 2-door coupe springs in the rear and you see what that does.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i'm going to investigate a few things this evening after work. if i could get away without replacing any springs and save a few $$$ right now, i'd be happy. i wonder if i could get away with just replacing the air shocks that i have in the back now (with no air in them) with some drag shocks and gain traction that way.

novadragr

Daily Driver
Aug 17, 2009
Elmore, Alabama
Hey 5 door, with just stock springs in the front, what's the nose responding like when it comes down? Fairly fast or slow? I'm a fan of wheel standers, but if the crossmember, headers, or pan hit, its all over. I don't want to make a sparkler outta the bottom.

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
novadragr said:
Hey 5 door, with just stock springs in the front, what's the nose responding like when it comes down? Fairly fast or slow? I'm a fan of wheel standers, but if the crossmember, headers, or pan hit, its all over. I don't want to make a sparkler outta the bottom.
I've bottomed out and smashed my oil pan in the past, but I also have 2" drop spindles. Since then, I've welded chrome moly snubbers to the bottom of my crossmember (K-frame) that prevent any further damage to the oil pan or headers. You can see the snubbers in the first pic below. Those snubbers are also what caused the 4th of July show in the second pic. LoL! They saved my oil pan though. =)

351.jpg

281.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts