turbo vs nitrous vs supercharger

78boo0

Frequent Racer
Feb 13, 2007
HAZEL PARK, mi
www.niacandles.com
if you were going to redo your SBC motor over an you had $10,000 to put into it (MOTOR ONLY) also you wanted your car to be a gruge car, track only car weights 2832 what combo would you go with an why & what HP is your goal :?: :?: :?:

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
turbo. IMO easier to tune on the fly especialy with efi.
super charger not quite as tuneable on the fly as turbo.

straight N20.. this is a grudge car.. that would be like showing them almost your complete hand right?
n/a small block is pushing pretty hard about the 600hp pending displacment.. 300hp shot is 900 park but your still dealling with a N/A engine.. im sure you can look a N20 setup and figure out the ball park of how much he is spraying right?

78boo0

Frequent Racer
Feb 13, 2007
HAZEL PARK, mi
www.niacandles.com
malibu795 said:
turbo. IMO easier to tune on the fly especialy with efi.
super charger not quite as tuneable on the fly as turbo.

straight N20.. this is a grudge car.. that would be like showing them almost your complete hand right?
n/a small block is pushing pretty hard about the 600hp pending displacment.. 300hp shot is 900 park but your still dealling with a N/A engine.. im sure you can look a N20 setup and figure out the ball park of how much he is spraying right?
WITH A 422 SB

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
hell your probly 800 on engine alone... or more

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
If I only had $10,000, I would do a stout 422 with 2 stages of nitrous and good instrumentation (dual widebands, 8 EGT sensors, 2 knock sensors, etc.) Put as much possible into the heads and valvetrain, and let 'er feed!

Jim

78boo0

Frequent Racer
Feb 13, 2007
HAZEL PARK, mi
www.niacandles.com
DeltaT said:
If I only had $10,000, I would do a stout 422 with 2 stages of nitrous and good instrumentation (dual widebands, 8 EGT sensors, 2 knock sensors, etc.) Put as much possible into the heads and valvetrain, and let 'er feed!

Jim
what would be your HP goal?????

pdqwagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2009
Grove City Ohio
Turbo for obvious reasons. You can make stupid power with a simple carb setup, can easily change tune for tracks with boost and timing settings, and you dont have to have a radical setup on the verge of breaking on every pass. No power loss to spin the turbo either.

Overkill

Daily Driver
Apr 27, 2009
Damascus, MD
I raced SBC nitrous motors for about 9 years, then I switched to running twin turbos for the last 5 years. If I was going to do something for grudge racing with $10k I would go with a Pro Charger F2 and blow through carb, unless you can do your own aluminum, stainless and or mild stell fabrication and welding in which case I would go with twin turbos. The turbos require allot of fabrication and a pretty big learning curve for racing and can make big power, the turbo headers alone can really get pricey also. Blower requires very little fabrication and they leave hard which in 1/8th mile racing is real important. Turbos can launch hard but are much harder to be consistant. Like I said, with a $10k budget I'd do a blower all the way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts