Turn signal problm Can't get enough leverage when using levr

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
I have an 81 El Camino with a tilt wheel.

For quite a while now the turn signal has been hard to use. Last Thursday I left work and the signal lever went limp. I thought all I had to do was remove the wheel and then tighten the screw back down into the plastic like an older system. WRONG!

After removing the wheel I then had to remove a spring clip and plastic cover before I could get to the plastic signal mechanism. So after messing with it and wanting to kill someone I managed to remove the spring and the plastic plate. I still can't get to the turn signal lever and it looks like I'm going to have to remove the ignition switch and the outside column cover to get at it. I don't have a clue how to do that.

I decided to mess with the plastic mechanism to see if it's sticking or what. I grabbed the plastic piece and pulled it over and activated the signals like normal. Didn't seem to bad and I lubed it while I was in there. I discovered a broken small copper looking spring. I think it's a cancellation spring.

Now I decide to work with the lever a little and discover it's real loose. Feels like its coming out and then yep it falls onto the floor. The metal has been fatigued over the years and it snapped in half.

What could be faulty to make me use enough force to break the lever but yet still not be able to activate the signal?
I still can't get to the turn signal lever attachment point and it looks like I'm going to have to remove the ignition switch and the outside column cover to get at it. I don't have a clue how to do that.

Help

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
Re: Turn signal problm Can't get enough leverage when using

Judging by all the replies,

Do I have this posted in the wrong area?

Bubuseventy8

Dragway Regular
Jul 26, 2003
Springfield, TN
facebook.com
Re: Turn signal problm Can't get enough leverage when using

go to autozone..buy a repair manual and a rebuild kit for the column..sorry not to answer your questions. but its one of those things you need to see

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts