Vaccums, wiring, what the? Wanting to swap, what is needed?

A

Anonymous

I got a 85 4.3 with the 4 barrel intake and 4 barrel carb (all stock). I have a 229 in my car. I might eventually swap them. I was wanting to take off the electric sensored (ccc) carburetor off and put a 70's rochester 4 barrel on. My thing is the wiring and vaccums, I basically want to clean up the engine from all those lines and make it look basic and clean. What vaccums do I need? what wires do I need?

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
if you have the ccc carb then you also have a computer controlled dist. if you change the carb might as well change the dist. too. Then you might as well pull all the emissions stuff off the motor. Then the only wires you need are the ones that go to the Alternator, and the ones that go to the starter. Done.

A

Anonymous

Betcha618 said:
if you have the ccc carb then you also have a computer controlled dist. if you change the carb might as well change the dist. too. Then you might as well pull all the emissions stuff off the motor. Then the only wires you need are the ones that go to the Alternator, and the ones that go to the starter. Done.
can i leave my distributor? i want to take the carb off along with all those little vaccum lines; the guy told me the only vaccum you need is the distr. and the brake and something else. i was wanting to know exactly what vaccums i need, as far as the wirring i know it will still be there when i delete the carb.

all in all i just want the intake, carb air cleaner on top with whatever vaccums i need, kinda like the old 60's cars

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You currently do not have a vacuum operated distributor, so you will have to change it.

Why are you afraid to keep the car as it was intended? Is there something wrong with it? If it runs good and passes inspection, leave it alone or you may be dissappointed in it.

It is not too difficult to understand the functions of the vacuum lines and sensors that provide feedback to the computer to control you fuel mixture and provide you with more mpg. Prior to CCC carburetors, the 305 got 18 mpg. With CCC they get 21.

That is my opinion, others may disagree.

A

Anonymous

t5montecarlo said:
You currently do not have a vacuum operated distributor, so you will have to change it.

Why are you afraid to keep the car as it was intended? Is there something wrong with it? If it runs good and passes inspection, leave it alone or you may be dissappointed in it.

It is not too difficult to understand the functions of the vacuum lines and sensors that provide feedback to the computer to control you fuel mixture and provide you with more mpg. Prior to CCC carburetors, the 305 got 18 mpg. With CCC they get 21.

That is my opinion, others may disagree.
you have a good point.
i think mine does have a vaccum distributor thought, i dont know, theres a vaccum line running to it.
a guy on craigslist has a new 4 bbl 70s rochester for sale without all that electric stuff so thats why i entertained the thought

A

Anonymous

my state doesnt require emissions inspections on 95 or 96 and older cars only saftey inspection

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts