Vortec heads/valves/seals

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I seem to recall reading in the past (don't remember if it was a forum or article) that standard valves could be used in place of the originals on Vortec heads... he reason being is the seals originally used on the Vortecs aren't used, instead the older o-rings are, and this takes care of the valvespring-to-guide issue.

Anyone else heard/read of this?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ah ha, I found it 8)
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/0405cct_vortec_cylinder_heads_small_block_chevy/index.html
The O-ring must be accompanied by a tin shield over the outside of the valvespring (left). The tin shield keeps excess oil from splashing on the valve stem and valveguide. The tin shield and O-ring must be used together to be effective. Installing the earlier double-groove valves, an O-ring, and a tin shield will allow the Vortec heads to use camshafts with 0.500 inches of valve lift, without machining the valveguides lower for clearance.

0405cct_head14_z.jpg

motorhead

Amateur Racer
Dec 19, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Now this is some interesting information!

Seems like an alternate solution to the ghetto-grind on the stock retainer.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You can buy/borrow the Arbor/Cutter to Turn down the Guides. The Rocker Stud Bosses need to be cut in a Mill for Guide Plates or you can use Studs without the Hex Boss if you're not going to use G-plates.

motorhead

Amateur Racer
Dec 19, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
SSedan64 said:
You can buy/borrow the Arbor/Cutter to Turn down the Guides. The Rocker Stud Bosses need to be cut in a Mill for Guide Plates or you can use Studs without the Hex Boss if you're not going to use G-plates.

The self aligning rockers recommended for Vortecs negate the need for guide plates. I have had a set of Pro Magnum rockers sitting on the shelf for years because my cam is already technically too large (.488" lift with a stock rocker 1.5 nominal ratio) for the stock Vortecs I am running.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!