Wagon Coil Springs

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hey everyone...i'm trying to get my winter projects all planned out and I have a question about springs...I've heard from a few different people that the stock cargo springs are no good for racing. So I want to swap over to a coil over type spring placed in the stock location. My question is...what length and pound amount is everyone running?
My other winter project is a frame notch so that I can run either a 275 or a 295 tire.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
The progressive rate cargo spring is usually replaced with a linear rate spring in the 130 lb/in range. For a wagon it would probably be slightly higher.

The best thing to do would be to try your car as-is or with a known replacement spring. i.e. a brand new spring with published information with it.

After you try it and write down your combination and what the car does, we can tune from there.

ramey

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
Thanks Ramey....ok so i did some research and using the summit racing website I found that my stock wagon replacement rear spring would be a Moog CC507...quick hop over to the Moog website for more info..

Both ends are pig tail
inside diameter of 5.530"
Bar Diameter .612
Install height 10.00"
Load 849 pounds
Spring rate 158 pounds
Spring free height 15.38 inches.

So...any recommendations on a height and weight to try to keep my wagon at stock height.?

Thanks everyone
1980PontiacWagon

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
PM sent.

In summary for the rest of the group, I'm wondering if the CC507 with an oval track style spacer would work well...

Has anyone used them for drag applications? We used them all the time on our street stock. Half a rubber in the RR really helped the car turn.

ramey

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts