Wagon rear wheel backspace

A

Anonymous

I searched through the site, and could not find a definite answer to this....

I want to run a Draglite wheel on the back of my 79 wagon. I dont want to mini-tub or frame notch if I dont have to.

I found a deal on a set of 15 X 8 rears. He has 3.5 or 4.5 inch backspace for sale.

Which one do I go with? I have a set of 28 X 12.5 M/T et streets to go on something. Will these fit on an 8 inch rim?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
those tires will fit those rims, but no guarantee they'll fit the car. you could try, though. a 28x10.50 is about as wide as you can go on a stock g-body. as far as backspace, i'd go with the 4.5, cuz it'll tuck the tire into the wheelwell. :D

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
the 28x12.50 et street is pretty wide, i run a 28x11.50 et street, fits the rim real well and would tuck if i didnt have a 12 bolt. i have a 4.5 backspace on my 15x8 draglites. alot of guys run the 3.5 inch backspace on their stock width rears and fit fine, but every car is different, always best to measure.

attngtr

Frequent Racer
Sep 20, 2007
Eastern Iowa
I run a 15x8 draglite with 3.5" backspace and 28x11.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro tires. If i had 4.5" backspace they wouldn't fit without the frame being notched.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
4.5" backspacing will not fit without a notch for certain with that tire on an 8" rim. You'll also come very close to rubbing the frame towards the backside of the tire on one side as well, because the wagon frames bulge out a bit where the filler neck is.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info.

Searching the site, it was 50/50 as to whether to go with the 3.5 or 4.5.

Sounds like 3.5 is the winner. I dont have to go with that large of a tire, but I have them just sitting. I can roll the wheelwell lip if needed, just didn't want it sticking out too far. I have the stock rear in now, but have a stock length 9" to go in.

Thanks again!

Jeff

TOMS78BU

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 13, 2007
gadsden, alabama
we wanna see pics when you get em on there! 8)

MEGABU

Top Fueler
Aug 20, 2007
Blue Island, IL
am i the only one who has never had clearance issues with 4.5" b/s rims? seems like about 50% of guys running those have problems. strange :eek:

A

Anonymous

That is what has been difficult with the decision of rear wheels. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this-LOL.

I'll be sure to post pics when I get the Draglites on. The Wagon has taken a back seat to my 64 Chevelle Wagon Super Stocker, but I really want a cool cruiser/bracket racer.

I have the 15 X 3.5 front skinnies with tires, just needed the rears. Hopefully sometime soon I'll get them on.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Jeff

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts