wagon side window trim

junkracing

Sep 7, 2011
I have a 1983 malibu wagon and I had to remove the passenger side rear side window for a little rust repair. The trim was drooping pretty bad when i got the car. I noticed when I removed the window that there was excess glue and broken glass still in the track. Guess I know what caused the rust. Anyhow I'm trying to source new or good used window trim. If not I will have to make the junk I have work. Any ideas?

c0ef1a1c.jpg

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Couple choices...

Earlier wagons used aluminum moldings rather than the vinyl ones. The down side is that you would have to either add the weld studs for the clips or use self sealing screws to hold the clips.

Use a generic "T" molding cut to fit, a local glass installer should be able to get you headed the right direction.

Try to find decent used vinyl moldings

I'm changing mine to the aluminum version...I just feel they look bettter.

junkracing

Sep 7, 2011
Thanks. I'll check that out. Didn't know they made them different.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
You might be better off finding the aluminum 1/4 window trim from an earlier wagon. Trying to salvage the rubberized glue on trim might be hopeless.

My dilemma is trying to find the plastic strips that slide on to the back side of the aluminum molding.
I also removed my side glass to repair some rust holes.

Any suggestions, Brian?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Well, all I can really add is that some Ford products also used similar strips. However, the use of these strips started sometime in the late 70s, as none of my earlier cars had them. My 64-72 Chevelles didn't, 70 Z/28 RS didn't, but my 78 Z/28 did. Mustang IIs used them as well.

Not sure what the real purpose is, perhaps to avoid contact with the glass? If that's the case, I would use some 2 sided tape. Either .25" molding tape, or we sometimes use a clear thin 2 sided tape...whose manufacturer escapes me right now.

One last alternative would be the tape used on 94+ Dodge trucks on the leading edge of the door where it contacts the windshield molding...it has adhesive on one side and is used to keep the windshield side molding from rubbing the paint off the door.

I would think any of those would isolate the aluminum molding from the glass.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks for your suggestions, Brian.
I don't think GM ever offered these strips separately, so improvising is the way to go. I'll comb the boneyard for alternatives.
The '94+ Dodge truck door trim sounds very interesting. Is it U- shaped? I'm trying to picture it.

Thanks again, man. I appreciate your advice..

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!