What do I need to run a 150shot?

Trevor454

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I want to make the 86 Cutlass a little more 'competitive' in Street car shootouts, so just want to toss a 150shot on the 454 in it. The motor as it sits is: 10:1cr, 461ci, 781 heads ported with 2.19/1.88 valves, Comp drag grind solid cam with .580lift, 256/264 duration at .050. Has Vic Jr. intake, Holley 750DP, and a 110gph Holley mechanical fuel pump.

I just want to toss a cheapish 150hp shot on this motor, if it blows up - not too worried about it as I have had this setup for quite some time. Do I need to switch over to an electric fuel pump? Anything else I need to worry about, I know I will should run race gas and have to change the timing/jetting, but by how much?

Car has 4.11 gears, 28" slicks, and TH400 with a 4200stall, and it's still full interior and heavy. I will probably have to toss a roll bar in it as well as it should run faster than 11.50.

Thanks!

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
I would just put it on and turn the timing down about 4 degrees. I have seen plenty of cars spraying 150 on an old mechanical fuel pump. Probably put some race gas in it too just to be safe.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
We have similar setups. I tossed a Sniper kit on mine. I use a Holley regulator and one side feeds the carb, the other the solinoid. I have yet to hit it with 150 and when I did try the 100 shot the bottle pressure was only 650 lbs. Now that the temp is back up, bottle reads about 900 lbs or so. My setup is as basic as it can get.
Times are in sig.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
It is important to keep your bottle pressure around 950 to get the most out of your system. Invest in a good bottle heater. Your 454 should take 150 with no problems at all. Just pull 4 or 5 deg out of it. Make sure your fuel system is up to par.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc
It really depends on your ring gap.

Trevor454

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Meat Drapes said:
We have similar setups. I tossed a Sniper kit on mine. I use a Holley regulator and one side feeds the carb, the other the solinoid. I have yet to hit it with 150 and when I did try the 100 shot the bottle pressure was only 650 lbs. Now that the temp is back up, bottle reads about 900 lbs or so. My setup is as basic as it can get.
Times are in sig.

Okay, so you just run from your mechanical pump to the regulator and then split to the fuel solenoid and to to carb? I believe I have the 130gph holley pump (used to have a 110), so I am hoping that I can do this on the cheap and it will work for awhile...

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Trevor454 said:
Meat Drapes said:
Times are in sig.

Okay, so you just run from your mechanical pump to the regulator and then split to the fuel solenoid and to to carb? I believe I have the 130gph holley pump (used to have a 110), so I am hoping that I can do this on the cheap and it will work for awhile...

Yes. Mech pump to regulator then it splits between carb and solenoid. I have since tried the 150 shot with poor results. The line from the solenoid to the plate broke during a run and caused a nice FAT bog. Better then lean at least. I have a Holley 130gph as well. It requires a regulator, I set it to 6.5 - 7 psi and everything runs good.

Trevor454

Amateur Racer
Jan 4, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Meat Drapes said:
Trevor454 said:
Meat Drapes said:
Times are in sig.

Yes. Mech pump to regulator then it splits between carb and solenoid. I have since tried the 150 shot with poor results. The line from the solenoid to the plate broke during a run and caused a nice FAT bog. Better then lean at least. I have a Holley 130gph as well. It requires a regulator, I set it to 6.5 - 7 psi and everything runs good.

Perfect! I just picked up the Edelbrock Performer RPM kit, goes 100-250hp, a holley regulator, and an 8 point bar. I have another day or two on the bar then I can toss the nitrous in.

What plugs are you running in your setup? Do you have a part number for them?

Thanks!

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
The plugs are AC Delco r44 I think. Something like that. Could be a r45 but I am not certain. I have them gapped at about .033-.035.
Using a MSD Digital 6 and a Blaster 2 coil.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I am BY FAR no expert in this. I am only going by what I have read on forums as you are doing now. I have heard many many times that I should be running a separate fuel system for the NOS alone and it should have its own fuel cell.
I have no problem melting my own things to the ground ,just want to make sure that you understand my setup is the very bare minimum to make it work. And it works fine. Just wont go beyond 150 shot.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts