what front spings for an iron big block?

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
So what spring do you use with an iron headed big block?? My old 78 had alum heads with the stock springs and road great. When I first built the motor with iron heads, front settled/lowered a lot, and road like a boat going down the road. This build will have iron heads, but alum intake and water pump. Might get some alum pulley's for some bling....

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
Think it's gonna be happening sooner than anticipated, so what the consensus??

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I used the stock V-8 springs on my old 78 that had alum heads, but not going that route with this one. Iron heads, alum intake and water pump. Heard that G-body's that had a diesel had heavier front springs??

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
Car had A/C, so would assume the springs were as well. Guess I'll have to do some checking....

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The front spring specs for 1980 show 18 different front springs, but only 4 different spring rates- 300#, 330#, 365# & 400#. There are a LOT of spring diameters, coil counts & cut off lengths. The interesting thing is they are all listed at 10.24" working height, but at a bunch of different working weights.

In any event, an iron head BBC weighs about 110# more than an iron head SBC. When I had Doug @ Global West spec my springs out for an iron head BBC, he said having A/C would make little to no difference. So IMO, any OEM SBC A/C springs are most likely going to be a little soft.

Tommy

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
They were waaaay soft in my car. And supposedly they were new. Car was a V-6, someone put a 327 in it and changed all the springs. If you look at some of the pics, the car does sit kinda high. The front tires were small, so that doesn't help any. But it lowered the front by at least 2" when it was iron, but sat nice with the aluminum motor.

I don't want the car to act like a pogo stick, or like a truck with too stiff springs. Gonna be a driver, so looking for stock height and decent ride....

79 surfwagon

Frequent Racer
Jun 26, 2006
Texas
after just swapping springs in my '80 today; I strongly recommend new replacements. Anything other than 30 year old stockers is going to be a HUGE improvement.

Over time, the springs lose their ability to respond. Just stock replacements make a huge difference. If you're concerned your iron headed BBC is going to sag your springs, step up to a higher rate spring.... remember; stored energy helps "lauch" the car. A lower rate is better because it will store more energy; however, a higher rate will prevent tire rub (if you're running lowering spindles or huge front tires) due to its inability to collapse.

GO HERE: http://www.maliburacing.com/coilspring.htm

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
I think I found a set of springs and they are for a G-body with a big block. This is gonna be a driver, not a racer. I just want to have fun with the car, not set any records or see what it will do. I won't be able to get traction, and probly will grenade the transmission until I can upgrade to a TKO-600.

So were could I get just stock replacement front coils??

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts