What is the best transmission fluid to use?

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
I run a 350 with a brake .Currently I have B&M trick shift in it but have heard from a few different people to run Ford type F..any input on that ??

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Paid any attention to parts store shelves? ATF and Antifreeze are headed down the same path of one-type-fits-all, soon the only thing you'll be able to choose is the brand. I suspect in a year or two type F might not even be available. Good luck with your car.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I always ran Type F fluid in my TH400. I didn't have a brake, but it did have a full manual valve body. Worked good for me.

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
I run type F transmission is 1 year old 350 with a shift kit re calibrated valve body tricked out governer racing sprag race, race cluthes, no detent cable and a heavy duty center support from a diffrent transmission. I didnt notice much diffrence but it didnt run worst either. more important thing is to keep it cool install a trans cooler with a fan on it or run both radiator cooler and seperate transmission cooler both hooked up together. that will make it run better for sure and make sure your lines arent running to close to your headers if you have any, if they are insulate them with rubber hose slit down the middle and use plastic straps or some of that header wrap stuff. But overall type f didnt makde it shift that much firmer or faster maybe just a little then again I started with dextron and did one fluid change with tp f after that and before that maybe 1 or 2 qts in between, so its probably not all type f
Malibu 361 said:
I run a 350 with a brake .Currently I have B&M trick shift in it but have heard from a few different people to run Ford type F..any input on that ??

Maliboo-Det

Frequent Racer
Sep 28, 2009
Det, MI
I've been runnin royal purple/ B&M trick shift mix....

madmax355

Amateur Racer
Jan 5, 2010
I always use dextron 3 in mine. ran my car for five years without any trouble or need of refreshing,but i didn`t have a transbrake in it. ran 7.80`s in the 1/8 all day long.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Maliboo said:
I've been runnin royal purple/ B&M trick shift mix....

My 700R4 only has about 1200 miles on it, but I've been running Royal Purple since day one...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!