Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
DSC_0028.jpg

it goes into this wire loom
DSC_0030.jpg

this is another plug that's empty
DSC_0031.jpg

These are two different areas. The first on is sitting on top of the intake manifold and the other is off to the drivers side. Not sure what they are for.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
The first one looks to me like the feed wire for electric choke, but i couldn't really tell. I'm not to sure on the second one

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
Just a guess but the first one looks to be for the dapshot (raises idel speed ) for the A/C.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
It's kind of hard to tell where you are on the engine pics,close ups are good but sometimes it's better if you stand back a bit,it looks like a sender plug,could be water temp or choke or ac high idle as previously mentioned,could be a spare as well,possibly a peice of equipment your ride doesn't have,I'm thinking that's what the one on the fenderwell is,maybe for cruise control or something,take a bigger pic of the first one so we can see where it is in relation to the carb and maybe we can figure it out,Later,KillerDave

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I have a wiring diagram for a malibu`s and in 1980 the only green wire i see up on the intake is for the temp switch or the fast idle solinord.The other one i cant see what color the wire is but it looks like its on the front fender so maybe the horn or cruise control.

malibumike

Frequent Racer
Oct 6, 2005
BANGOR ,PA
i have the same plug on my suburban and dont know where it goes. when its cols outside and start my truck it takes alomst a half hour or longer or sooner depends on the weather. i dont know if thats for my choke or something else.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Here is a picture of the engine and where it is located. It is down laying on the intake manifold so you cant see it in the picture, but the red circle is where it is. The wire i traced in red is where it goes. It starts where the circle is and goes towards the front of the engine then goes towards the passengers side over the alternator and then im not sure where it goes. I will go out and take more pictures of where it goes exactly, later.

Paint.jpg

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Interesting! Is it in a harness/wire loom or is it running loose? from the location near the thermostat housing I'd almost say it's a temp sensor,do you have guages or idiot lights? Take your air filter housing off and take a couple pics of the carb,choke is on the passenger side,it
should be round & black,could be a heat riser/vacume set up,small steel tube oe tubes going to it,or it could be electric,one wire plugged on to it,on the driver/throttle side there should be an electric selenoid that makes contact with the throttle lever when it's closed,that would be for your A/C fast idle,it should have one wire hooke to it as well,
it could still be a spare,never know! Later,KillerDave

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If it's a 16ga grn, it's the A/C high idle solenoid wire. I forget what the thingy on the driver's fender is for, but if memory serves me right, it's either part of the cruise control, igniton advance control or torque converter lockup. I'll cehck my diagrams when I get home.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!