What size wire from back of alt to battery in trunk?

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I am re-installing the battery to the trunk and wondered what size wire do you all use to run from the alt back to your battery in the trunk? I don't want to go to small and loose volts due to the length and resistence.

Also, I know that the battery box needs to be mounted to the frame for it to be NHRA legal at the track. Anyone that has theres mounted and is track legal mind posting a pic of their set up and how they mounted it. Also, how they mounted and wired in the battery cut off switch. I have the Moroso style cut off switch that turns left/right vise the push pull style.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
i have #4 gage front to back. welder ground cable from ace hardware
or any welding supply shop .
and the charge wire has to run to the switch
in order to be able to kill the car
by the switch.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
Robert run the ground to the front and attach it where? On the engine block?

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
i run my ground to the rear down bar
and from the block to the frame.
and one from the back of the head to the fire wall

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
406Monte said:
Robert run the ground to the front and attach it where? On the engine block?

Engine Block. Make sure you have good ground between the Block, frame and chassis.

The factory uses 4 ga when the cable are only 2 feet long. Make sure the cables are good
quality fine stranded wire 2ga and support with adel clamps.

If you have a electric fuel pump in the back make sure it grounds at the battery no the body.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
I just ran 4GA for the alternator and a ground up to the motor. Got rid of all fuel pressure fluctuation issues in two cars. A bit of added weight but it's all reliable now. Don't forget to put the fuel pump relay at the fuel pump, not in the front of the car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!