What type of 7.5 posi is this?

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
I bought this 7.5 posi today for $100 off craigslist for my monte and was wondering what brand and type is was.

P1020704.jpg

P1020705.jpg

P1020703.jpg

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
Yea, it's an Auburn. I hope you didn't get screwed. I wouldn't buy a used Auburn if it was $1. When they wear out they are scrap metal, and they do wear out. From the looks of all of the metal pieces in this one I'd say that it's got a lot of wear on it.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
Auburn has a trade in program...it's cheaper than buying a new one but I'd still go with Eaton or a locker first if buying new....$100....ehhh if it's not worn out it'd be nice for a daily I suppose

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
I don't think much of Auburn's trade in program because when you trade it in you are just getting another Auburn. If they would let you trade it in on an Eaton then it would be a great deal. The trade in doesn't allow for the trashed bearings that you will have to replace because of all of that powdered metal that went through them from the cones wearing out.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
The trade in does not work on factory units which this one pictured is...:) JIm

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Jim, Are is the Cases or Cones different on the factory units then newer Auburns that have the Trade In program?
Thanks, Todd

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Yep, That is a 7 5/8 posi unit it has different designed spider gears than the early 7.5 bolt together case auburn units. They installed these units in the ss-monte carlos if it is 26 spline. Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts