What would you do? - Intake swap

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I want to eventually swap out the truck intake on a budget which means I will likely be avoiding the FAST stuff. I am also not interested in aftermarket aluminum intakes either. Weiand, etc.

I figured id go with an LS6 which means new injectors and fuel rail. I am almost positive my drive by cable truck TB will work. So maybe I could do the swap for $600'ish if im lucky.

I found an LS2 intake with fuel rails, injectors and drive by wire TB for $350. I was almost sold on buying it until I realized I would have to buy an aftermarket TB since its 90mm. I am pretty sure an OEM 90mm drive by cable TB doesnt exist, maybe im wrong. So that would be an extra $450 for the TB bringing me up to $800 to do the swap.

Hold out for an LS6 intake and reuse my TB or do this LS2/new TB since its a pretty good deal for the intake/injectors, etc. Orrrr... just live with the nasty truck intake which isnt THAT bad of a performer. :-k

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
Keep the truck intake...gains are too small, not worth the money, and I think the truck intake keeps up with most other intake under 6400 rpm. if I didnt have the vortech cover Id shave and sand it down, they look nice that way!

blubaldmontess

Dragway Regular
Oct 3, 2005
Clarksville, TN
If your set on getting it, I'd just watch on ls1tech, they're always coming up for sale with the TB for anywhere from 6-800. I'm with you though, the heads and cam sound like a better idea. Are you running the camaro front end accesories? I don't know for sure, but I believe that we have to run those in order to swap intakes...thus the reason I won't be swapping ,that kit is ungodly expensive!

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
you can run the car intake with truck accessories, you just have to move the top hose outlet and get a conversion idler pulley.

Cain

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2005
Raytown, Missouri
You can get one of the high output truck intakes. Its the same as the trail blazer ss intake. the H.o. truck intake has a 90mm tb with the 6 prong plug that works with the dbw harness, but the tbss tb has a 8 prong plug so youl would need the truck one. Some one sells an adapter to convert the 8 prong to a 6 prong tb fot like $170.

Google it and you'll see the differanc between the two, Thats the intake I bought for my 6.0

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
I was looking into this also, but the word is its 90mm but necks down to 78 on the inside of the intake...so gains are basically nothing.

Cain

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2005
Raytown, Missouri
Went and measured bot the stock truck and the H.O. intake. The stock truck measured right at 75 mm at the opening. The H.O. measured 88.6mm then barely necks down to 84mm then is that all the way back. The H.O. tb is 95 mm at the very outer opening then tapers to 85mm in the back. It is still 10mm bigger than the stock one and looks alot better. The inside has enough materal to smooth out the little edge if someone wanted, but it's not bad at all.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts