Whats it worth? BBC

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
OK so i have come across a deal ( i think). Guy has a complete 454 (stock) from carb to brackets. Running when pulled out of a suburban i think. I trust the guy 100% as i have bought several things form him already.

So my question. is it worth $800 he is asking? I am under the impression this is a stick it in and fire it up engine.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
thats a very fair price. Maybe a little high if it was just a core but for a good runner its very good.
Brian

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
What year is it? It may have peanut port heads, in which case you're looking at different ones for anything other than a driver. If that's the case, it's a teeny bit steep, but not too much, for a short block that may need freshening if you're gonna start pushing some power through it.

Tommy

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
LS6 Tommy said:
What year is it? It may have peanut port heads, in which case you're looking at different ones for anything other than a driver. If that's the case, it's a teeny bit steep, but not too much, for a short block that may need freshening if you're gonna start pushing some power through it.

Tommy

Well the engine i think is out of a 70's vehicle but i wont know until i see the codes on the block. I want to say a 76 but him and i talked about so much i could be running engines together. Also to start out i will be just using it as a dailey driver at first and will do somethings to it down the road.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
It most likely has the peanut port heads. I would pass.

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
Ed Cannon said:
It most likely has the peanut port heads. I would pass.

So if its a complete engine ready to bolt in its not worth the $800 for just being street driven if its got the peanut heads?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
check the casting number on the heads. If it has the peanut port heads you will soon find out. They are fine for a driver but scrap iron for when you try to step up the power. If you trust the guy 100% he's probably not trying to screw ya. BTW i've found lots of suburbans with 781 heads.

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
prairiehotrodder said:
check the casting number on the heads. If it has the peanut port heads you will soon find out. They are fine for a driver but scrap iron for when you try to step up the power. If you trust the guy 100% he's probably not trying to screw ya. BTW i've found lots of suburbans with 781 heads.

It probably wont be until this time next year that i try to build it and at that point i would go with aluminum heads anyway. so it would be an as is daily driver until then. So is the price worth that at $800?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I seem to recall 76 was the last year for "Passenger" 454s, so with any luck it may not have peanut port heads...

Tommy

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
LS6 Tommy said:
I seem to recall 76 was the last year for "Passenger" 454s, so with any luck it may not have peanut port heads...

Tommy

I hope to get the number off the engine today but not sure i will crack open a valve cover or not.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts