Wheel tubs!?

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
Ok, so as my car is up in the air (cinderblocks), I was tossing around the idea of tubbing it out. I am looking to put a 275 tire on it. I'm really tryn stay away from notching the frame right now because eventually I'm going to do a full notch.. But not anytime soon. Soo. My question(s)..
What size tub should I buy, summit has a few choices, and will it even be possible to fit a 275 in without notch. Wanna tuckthe tire up in the fender pretty nice. Keep a really low slung look. Eventually simillar to jackstand but about 3 inches lower. Any suggestions. Thanks fellas

8secChevy

Amateur Racer
Jun 28, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
You can fit a 275 without a notch, but if you are doing the tubs why not do it all at one time? Notching the frame is gonna be easier with the tubs out. What are you gonna be running for rear suspension? Jackstands ride height is perfect IMO, and to go 3" lower than that would be really low. Good luck with your project.

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
I scored me a 9" with crap internals. It's a open rear, but it won't be for long. Most likely strange shocks and f body springs. Maybe 3 inches is a little to low, but lower than jackstands. I'm going to be doing a 4" drop upfront wit coilovers.
Reason for not doing it all at the same time. Guy around me wants like 1300 for a full notch and I'm not to hept to dropping that kind of loot right now. Once I have it I'd like to stuff a 295 possibly a 305 tire up in the well. So I jus wanted to get the tubs out the way. Btw. Thanks for ur responce. Any one else feel free to chime in aswell.
Thanks. GreG

luv2xlr8

Amateur Racer
Dec 1, 2003
mentone,alabama
i have 295/50/15 on my bu and a set of 275/50/15 drag radials for the track as well all i did was roll the fender lip

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
Could u elaborate as to ur setup.. I was under the impression that I'd have to notch it to fit a 295 in there? :-k

luv2xlr8

Amateur Racer
Dec 1, 2003
mentone,alabama
every thing is stock. i run an 8 inch rim . my 295/50/15 are firestone radial tires and my 275/50/15 are bfg drag radials. all i did was roll the lip on the fender well . i left just enough that i can still run my wheel trim

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
it would be nice to notch it, if you was closer id help you .

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
yea. some pics would help thanks. Yesterday I found out the upper most part of the trunk. Where the axle sits below is shot. It cleaned up. But I was leaning on it and my hand fell through. So I cut most of it out and the drivers side tub already. No turning back now. I'll put up so e pictures towards the end of today cause right now it looks a little crappy. Thanks for your help there bud.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts