Where to spend money.

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
For the same money, could I get more power out of a turbo, super, or just straight internal engine mods. I'm going with fuel injection by the way.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
if your just drag racing, the stock stuff (short block)with a good balance job and ported heads will easily go into the 10's. to make it a little easier to go that fast hit a little juice to it. we went with a stock crank, block (iron 6.0L) good rods and pistons and a gt47-88, and L92 heads. we are looking for roughly 1,000 whp. i ould just throw in a good cam and spray it

A

Anonymous

overall, it's hard to beat the money based on a nitrous setup. Cam only, or even getting some cheap ported heads like patriots or something, and spraying it, was a quick and easy way to have fun.

I always look at everything though. Let's say you are gonna be working with a stock longblock.

Headers - $350 ? For the LSx swap?
Nitrous Kit - $500
Electrical stuff for nitrous kit - $200 (like window switches and WOT switch, etc..)
Misc jets, wiring, relays, etc...

So figure you'll have $1200 into all that.

OR for the turbo...

Flipped manifolds like I'm doing - $50
Tial 50mm BOV - $225
Tial 44mm Wastegate - $400
B/W S475 Turbo - $600
Piping - $100
Misc - $200

So maybe $1500??

Now these are just ROUGH ROUGH estimates and I'm sure I'm missing alot on both sides, but where I live, bottles are $5.50/lb for nitrous. So 10 bottle fills, which would be about a month with my racing schedule, that's $550 swing.

BUT, the easier thing would DEFINITELY be the nitrous.

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
nitrous, looking at my combo, with a small shot and cam only, easy 10.9's all day, with 22-23 mpg

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Is a turbo gonna rob that much MPG though?

And its gonna be a DD that sees test and tune nights when I have the time.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
from start to finish a whole turbo system is gonna cost more than a simple nitrous set up generally. but if you don't mind spending some extra cash, go for it. look up of some borg warner turbos and check out www.racepartssolutions.com. they have pretty cheap stuff for the "do it yourself" type of guy. i have got a lot of stuff from them and its all pretty good stuff

A

Anonymous

supercharger is the most expensive and have to set it to diff temps. im running a 489 blown and motor cost +/- $15,000

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts