Who has used a painless wiring system for a Malibu

matty man

Dragway Regular
Jun 1, 2003
Grove City , Ohio
I have a 81 Malibu to rewire and they have a painless system to put in,, if you have done one let me know the good, bad and ugly,, this is a street car, ran 10.30`s last time he had it out, trying to get an idea of how long it will take. The dash is out the seats will be out, the old wiring caught fire and smoked, the car was stolen and recovered, the column needs a new one,, anyone have a floor shift column they want to sell? Thanks for any ideas, matty man 8)

78Camino

Dragway Regular
Dec 19, 2004
NW Indiana
wiring

I just bought a whole kit myself, but am waiting for the car to get back from the chassis shop to wire it. Which one did you get...a 12 or 18 circuit?

matty man

Dragway Regular
Jun 1, 2003
Grove City , Ohio
Not sure which one they got ,, I can tell ya in about 2 weekd when I start,, which one are you using?? Let me know how it goes,, matty man 8)

A

Anonymous

i bought a universal one for my nova a while back... last time i do it that way. not really settup for relays, and not really a painless procedure. i'm not tooting my own horn but i'm good with wiring and electrical sh*t so since then i've done it from scratch on every car i've built... about 180$ for a "painlintheass harness", or about 50 bucks doin it from scratch adding relays where they belong, the right way... do it the right way you'll thank yourself in the future... their wire does have a nice insulator though...

A

Anonymous

I DUNNO

http://WWW.ITSASNAPWIREANDCABLE.COM
FOR $140 SHIPPED I GOT A 21 CIRCUIT, WISH I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE SMALLER KIT. ITS A UNIVERSAL AND SO FAR NO PROBS. JUST HAVE TO FINISH TAIL LIGHTS AND THE HEADLIGHT/DIMMER/TURN SIGNALS AND THE CAR IS DONE. VERY LONG AND ALL COLOR CODED GM COLORS TOO.
ROB

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Re: I DUNNO

84cutlass357 said:
WWW.ITSASNAPWIREANDCABLE.COM
FOR $140 SHIPPED I GOT A 21 CIRCUIT, WISH I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE SMALLER KIT. ITS A UNIVERSAL AND SO FAR NO PROBS. JUST HAVE TO FINISH TAIL LIGHTS AND THE HEADLIGHT/DIMMER/TURN SIGNALS AND THE CAR IS DONE. VERY LONG AND ALL COLOR CODED GM COLORS TOO.
ROB

Too many circuits? I have been on the fence about which kit to order and think I am going with the American Autowire Highway Series kit, but did not know whether to go for the 15 or 22 circuit kit. I will not be running AC, heat, radio, no power windows or doors. What I like about their kit is that each wire is separate, meaning you run that particular circuit and make the connections at both ends. Most of the other kits I have seen already have all the circuits wired to the fuse box, so when you run a circuit you have all the other wires that you need to hold out of the way.

Here is a link to their webpage:
http://www.americanautowire.com/products/Highway_series.cfm

A

Anonymous

exactly why i wont buy another kit... if its free at both ends, then i'd think twice... 22 circuits... damn thats a lot...

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Just curious, but why does free at both ends turn you away? More chance of a connection coming free maybe?

I thought that it would be a much easier way to install an entire kit. You could just mount the fuse box, then run each circuit 1 at a time without all the other wires in the way.

I take it 22 is overkill? LOL I will be rewiring my entire car within the next couple of months and really do not know which path I am going to take. Sounds like at 15 circuit may be more than enough, huh?

A

Anonymous

na, i meant i would actually think about buying one if i found one with both ends open... thats why i think the painless is a pain in the a55... i ended up fighting with that crap and deleting half the harness i didn't use... no a/c, etc... its a waste if you want things wired "your own way"... i just bought it in the first place to see how they were... i had a 12 fuse harness and i had 3 unused...i really think it all comes down to bang for the buck personally, it all gets the job done in the end, but i'll never spend 180 on a "kit" again... for about 50-60$ you can buy all the spools of wire (100ft) and rob a panel off any car you desire.

me, i work for toyota. i had a scion xb come in stripped bare bones waiting for the insurance adjuster, when no one was looking i robbed the fuse panels out of the car. real nice, weathertight 15 fuses, with 5 a relay section... threw that in the trunk of my bu to make room for the clutch master, relaced the old wiring and viola...

btw, i think its 22 possible circuits under 15 fuses for that kit, which is real good for a computer controlled car... if thats the case i'd consider it

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
It's better to err on the low side with these things. It's MUCH easier and cheaper to splice into a ign wire and ground to add a circuit you need down the road, than to pay for all this junk you don't need, and start plucking wires out of a brand new setup. The less that's there, the happier you'll be.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts