Who makes the best Door Hinge Kit?

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
(I wasn't sure where to put this so move it accordingly)

1981 El Camino
So my drivers door hinge needs some attention.
It looks like "Maybe" :-k the pin is starting to eat into the metal.
I can't tell if it's gunna need to be drilled oversize or not.

Who makes a GOOD hinge kit?
I haven't seen much out of Dorman that I thought was quality.
But feel free to say it so I know how many are using their sh, r' STuff #-o

A part number would be great if ya have it.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
hingerebuild001.jpg

I used the puney Dorman kit for the lower hinge rebuild only. For the uppers, I redrilled the holes to 5/8" and used 3/8" bushings found at my local hardware store. I used a long hardened 3/8" bolt and lock nut for the pin. My brother is a machinist so he made the first set from brass because he had no bronze laying around. Of course too soft, so have since replaced with bronze bushing found locally. Picture is comparing the Dorman and large brass size differance and the use of the 3/8 bolt and nut. Bolt has to be inserted from the bottom. Opposite the factory pin setup. Works perfect. Now if I could figure out a way to rebuild the detent roller.

Steve

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
nillabu said:
My brother is a machinist

I'll bet that comes in handy. Hey Bro can you lol

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Yeah, he was handy for that, but 70 miles away. He just machined the brass ones for me. They started wearing after a year or two cause brass is just way too soft. The bronze I picked up didn't need machining. They are alittle longer and beefier but that's okay. These doors weigh a ton. Wish I had a picture of those installed. Won't ever have to touch em again.

Steve

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
So is Dorman the only name out there when it comes to this?

I tried looking it up at several restoration sites and they don't say who makes their kits.

nillabu said:
These doors weigh a ton.

Think about the second gen Camaro doors :shock:

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Lots of the G-body resto companies sell pin & bushing kits & even complete hinges. Goodmark sells F-body detent roller kits. Maybe they swap?

Tommy

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
I found the Goodmark G Body number but I don't think they make it anymore because I can't find it on their site or anybody elses for that matter.

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
LS6 Tommy said:
Lots of the G-body resto companies sell pin & bushing kits & even complete hinges. Goodmark sells F-body detent roller kits. Maybe they swap?

Tommy

I was just looking at my detent roller. It's nasty with a huge gap between it and the pin.
Even if I re-bushing and pin it there ain't no getting over that. I think it needs nothing short of a lot nicer used hinge.
It's the drivers side I'm talking about, it's always the drivers side. Passenger side is very nice if I do say so.

I don't know about those repo'd door hinges. Seems like about everything that's repo'd is junk.
New originals are selling for some good money.

On a side note here.
I've tried just about everything on my hinges including grease to get them to be smooth without much success.
I said what the H and shot some of my Bel-Ray chain lube on them and then worked them back and forth a few times.

WOW!!! Why didn't I try that before. No joke, it's like butter now \:D/
I've always had problems with my hood latch so I shot some on that mechanism... Bam the hood pops right up now, who knew?
It's white though so I have to try and wipe off all the excess. Maybe I'll try my Maxima Chain Wax Next lol

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
Last edited by a moderator:

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
The reproduction hinges do work well. My El Camino got hit several years ago and i replaced the door and hinges with stuff I bought from The El Camino Store. The new hinges works just like they're supposed to. I liked them enough to get new hinges for my regal, Sourced from Gbodyparts, I have not installed them yet but they look like the same manufacturer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!