wierd rear door panels?

cammed up v6

Daily Driver
Apr 4, 2011
hi i have a question i was messing with my malibu the other day and it was hot so i went to roll the windows down and noticed somthing kinda strange the back doors have no cranks? its only got side window vents is that normal and if so does anybody know why?

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
You must either have a 4door or wagon.Yeah it's normal,I have a Malibu wagon with the same back doors. If you look at how the door is shaped,there is no way the window can go all the way down. The rear wheel well is right there in the way,so instead of trying to figure out a way to make them go down,they installed vent windows and A/C.

cammed up v6

Daily Driver
Apr 4, 2011
yeah i got a four door lol and it has always made me curious as to why they didnt roll donw

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There is room to make them go down several inches, just not all the way. However, that would have meant additional linkages.

If you remove the brackets that hold the bottom of the window in place, it will slide down. If you had good fab skills, you might be able to figure a way to allow them to open/close.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
That's true,all you need is a window regulator some skills and some fab up door panels. I was thinking of looking at the I think it's the 78 four door Cadillac seville Elegante. I know there rear windows roll down bout half way.

malibu101

Frequent Racer
May 22, 2003
Walnutport PA
FWIW- My mom and dad had a 78 Impala 4 door back in the day. Due to the design of the door due to the rear wheelwell the window could only roll down 1/2 way.
BUT the rear windows DID roll down 1/2 way.-maybe something to look at if you're up to the fabrication job.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
very interesting...it would be nice to get the rear windows to go down just a little to get some more air circulating in the car...but i don't know about modding the door pannels

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!