willwood brakes/tech advise

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
just looking to see what you guys think.i don't know much about brakes so i called the tech department the other day to see what they recommend for a master cly for my power brake set up.i have them front and back four pistons on all corners.they said to use an 1-1/8 bore clynder.i'm thinking about calling them back before making the purchase,i've never ?ed a tech line before but the guy seemed to quick to get off the phone with me. thoughts?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
1 1/8" is pretty much standard for 4 wheel power discs, at least for stock style setups.

Tommy

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
LS6 Tommy said:
1 1/8" is pretty much standard for 4 wheel power discs, at least for stock style setups.

Tommy
:) i had a feeling i was going to hear from you about this one tommy,thanks abunch.i called them today and they said the same thing.thanks.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
355_79bu said:
1 1/8" is what I run on my car.
what kinda master are you running?hows it work for ya?

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
Cast iron "Corvette" style master. They are available aftermarket through many different companies and performance parts vendors such as Jegs, Summit, Speedwaymotors, etc...Some even now offer them in aluminum.

It works great for me with the 4 wheel disc brakes. I have the early style single piston GM calipers on the front with 12" rotors (b-body spindles), and GM metric calipers in the rear with 11" rotors. And a later model G-body dual diaphragm booster. The pedal feel is perfect......not too hard, not to soft.

If I had it to do over again I would have used a Willwood master or alike.....if nothing else but for the looks of it. I'm not sure if one would out brake the other or not. I can't see it making much of a difference IMHO.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
355_79bu said:
Cast iron "Corvette" style master. They are available aftermarket through many different companies and performance parts vendors such as Jegs, Summit, Speedwaymotors, etc...Some even now offer them in aluminum.

It works great for me with the 4 wheel disc brakes. I have the early style single piston GM calipers on the front with 12" rotors (b-body spindles), and GM metric calipers in the rear with 11" rotors. And a later model G-body dual diaphragm booster. The pedal feel is perfect......not too hard, not to soft.

If I had it to do over again I would have used a Willwood master or alike.....if nothing else but for the looks of it. I'm not sure if one would out brake the other or not. I can't see it making much of a difference IMHO.
that sounds like a nice set up.i'm with you on the appearance part of the the willwood vs the cast iron with the two retaining rings.thanks for the help guys

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
355_79bu said:

Same exact setup for me. The only difference is my rear discs are Ford SVU/"Explorer" 11" rotors & calipers with parking brake. I got my master, booster & combo valve from Master Power Brakes.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/index.cfm

Tommy

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i've gotta figure out if i need to buy the pushrod or the master comes with it.the site doesn't say yes or no but summit says yes.i'm gonna try and call again @lunch.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts