Wilwood, Baer, or SSBC?

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm interested in upgrading my brakes. I like the idea of the 1LE brakes, but it seems like a lot of work for a single piston caliper. I'm thinking about going aftermarket. I'd like to retain a smaller wheel, I currently have 16" IROC wheels. The car will mostly be a daily driver, but I would like to autocross it from time to time. I was thinking about running an 11-12 in. rotor with 4 piston calipers up front and probably a 10-11 in. rotor in the rear with 2-4 piston calipers. Is anyone running anything similar? Is there an aftermarket brand that is of higher quality than the others? The car has a 12 bolt rearend, I'm sure all of these companies make conversion kits from drum to disc. Is there anything I need to be aware of when making the conversion?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I have yet to actually use these, but I did mock them up. I've got the Hotchkis uppers, B-Body spindles, 1LE 12" rotors, then instead of using the single piston iron calipers, I've got SSBC twin pistion aluminum calipers that are a bolt-in deal for a Caprice. All fits nicely, and the calipers are awesome...they're actually "Summit" calipers, but are engraved SSBC on the backside. Nice setup! Like I said, though, I haven't actually driven on them yet, but I have no doubt they'll be enough to haul the car down quickly!

rsh4364

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2011
greensprings,ohio
i have the summit/ssbc alum. dual piston calipers on factory size vented crossdrilled rotors on my 79 Malibu and they work awesome..huge improvement, 15 x 6 weldswheels

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!