Wiring Switches and Relays HELP

gbodyera

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2010
Miami- Detroit
Okay. I understand what relays are used for now I have a few questions.

Pertaining to electric fans. Is it possible to purchase the correct relay and toggle switch and turn on dual fans at the temp desired instead of a temp sending wiring kit? If so, How?

I currently have an ignition kill-switch in my 81 bu now. I also bought a Keep It Clean (4-wire) push button starter that is awaiting install. Is it possible to wire in the push button and have the ignition kill switch wired at the same time? if so how is it done? Thanks

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Thats a hard one to explain with just typing but there are some wiring setups that turn your fans on at a preset temp example 180 there a kit at auto zone that has a probe that mounts to the radiator that has a dial which you can select diffrent fan on temps but you need to watch your temp gauge and set it where you want it its real cheap and easy to install. the way I did mine is I used a heavy duty toggle switch from the zone 50 amp all metal except the handle is plastic and ran constant hot wire from the fan to the hot side of battery make sure fan has no ground then I ran the ground wire from the fan inside the car on the driver side through the fire wall then ran that to one side of the switch then the other side of the switch also ran a ground wire to the metal bracket on the side right behind the vent under the steering colum. when I turn the switch on it completes a gronding circuit to operate the fan. then you can just look at your gauges and turn off and on the fan when you need to. just make it a habbit to keep looking at your gauges or just let the fan run when your driving unless it real cold outside. you can also run the wiring in reverse order but then you need to run two wires inside the car a hot and ground to the switch with a fuse or also use the relay I didnt because Im using a heavy duty switch. I also did mine that way to eliminate running more hot wires inside my car kinda scary having all those hot wires inside my car at least now the hot wire stays inside the hood and is real short direct to the battery let me know if you need any more help
gbodyera said:
Okay. I understand what relays are used for now I have a few questions.

Pertaining to electric fans. Is it possible to purchase the correct relay and toggle switch and turn on dual fans at the temp desired instead of a temp sending wiring kit? If so, How?

I currently have an ignition kill-switch in my 81 bu now. I also bought a Keep It Clean (4-wire) push button starter that is awaiting install. Is it possible to wire in the push button and have the ignition kill switch wired at the same time? if so how is it done? Thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I just did a quick skim over f.h.c.'s post, but the short answer to your question is just about anything is possible to wire, you just need the know-how, or the guidance :) In a way you can think of a stock ignition lock cylinder. Turning it on is the ignition kill switch, and when you turn the key to start it, that would be the push-button starter switch, they are actually two separate circuits when you look at a diagram.

Far as the temperature-controlled fans, you can actually get a sending unit (temperature switch) that threads into the head/intake somewhere, but most have a set temperature it turns on/off. There are a couple you can wire that are adjustable though, like this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16749/?rtype=10

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Get ahold of a cole hersee catolog they have many switches used for oem applications that turn fans on at different temps pick the temp you want the fan on and off find the corresponding sending unit.Then use it to trip the fan relay and your done.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Get a switch that is OFF in the middle and ON when it's up or down. (Double throw, single pole) Wire it so you can manually turn the fan on when it's in the up position and it's on thermostatic control in the down position. Very easy to do, they sell kits that do exactly that or you can make your own with a temp switch to go in the engine and the toggle switch and relay. Lee

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
barnym17 said:
Get ahold of a cole hersee catolog they have many switches used for oem applications that turn fans on at different temps pick the temp you want the fan on and off find the corresponding sending unit.Then use it to trip the fan relay and your done.
http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htm

I think I'll be doing some looking around here :D

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
racecar77 said:
Get a switch that is OFF in the middle and ON when it's up or down. (Double throw, single pole)

You mean a Single Pole, Double Throw switch, Lee. It's one Common & two Normally Open switches. A Double Throw, Single Pole switch has two separate Normally Open (or Normally Closed) circuits that both open or close at the same time when you move the lever/push the button.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Sorry for the curt words. I didn't mean to sound insulting or corrective. Sometimes I sound REALLY hypercritical.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts