wiring up alternator ???

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
My 79 malibu alternator plug have a brown wire in a red wine & the big post red wire... where do the brown wire and little red wire go to on the 2004 alternator pins ? it's a 4 pin alternator I don't have the original plug for the 04 alternator

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Best bet is to get a diagram, if you don't get any other response... what vehicle is it out of? I don't know how the newer ones work, but both large red wires ultimately run back to the battery, the brown is the "excite" wire and comes from the ground side of the "battery" light in the dash.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
On your car harness the small brown wire goes to the charge light in the cluster. The alt you have is regulated by the pcm in the suburban. This diagram is for the Suburban you specified.

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
Ed Cannon said:
On your car harness the small brown wire goes to the charge light in the cluster. The alt you have is regulated by the pcm in the suburban. This diagram is for the Suburban you specified.

i'm lost ! :oops:

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Basically your going to need an alternator that's not controlled by a computer.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Ed, since the alternator has an internal regulator, why won't it work? Would it not work correctly if the red wire was connected to Pin C (and jumped to the large battery connector) and the brown wire to Pin B?

jaywill

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2006
REIDSVILLE,NC
t5montecarlo said:
Ed, since the alternator has an internal regulator, why won't it work? Would it not work correctly if the red wire was connected to Pin C (and jumped to the large battery connector) and the brown wire to Pin B?
[-o< THAT'S WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW ! =D> NOW WHICH ONES IS PIN C & PIN B ???

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
t5montecarlo said:
I don't think it will work They use many different style regulators and most of the newer stuff will only work with pcm control. The shop I work at has been rebuilding alternators and starters for 30+ yrs. Auto Electric Co - NAPA AutoCare Center - Johnson City TN 37604 - Car Repairs and Service However i just work on cars. I will ask Mike our rebuilder tomorrow about this. He will know 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!