Wiring up multiple relays, switches!

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
O.K. I know how to wire up a relay and a switch to whatever it is controlling. I have one for my electric fuel pump and am getting ready to install my electric water pump, and electric fan.
I've read about the distribution blocks w/ studs? I would just get one of these and run a wire from my battery (with an inline fuse? and what size) to the distribution panel and all the (battery) connections from the relays would go here? Correct so far? Then I guess I could make a ground distribution panel for all the grounds to go to? And the device + wire (fan, pumps) would to to the relay. But what do I do for all the toggles? I currently have 1 toggle connected in the fusebox with a spade connector. Toggle doesnt get juice til key is on. What do I do about supplying the power to all the toggles? Hope I am clear on what I am asking.

drwoowoowoo

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2007
Ft Worth Texas
Im pretty sure they make some toggle switches that are daisy chains. IE one switch has the main power, and then you hook a wire between them and then both have power. I dont think it should be a problem if you are you using them to excite the relay to turn on the accessory.

P.S late 80's early 90's chevy trucks have great dist. blocks. They are solid aluminum and are located around the heater box area on the firewall. They have 5 3/8 studs on them. I hate stacking sh*t on the battery terminal. So i ran a 2ga wire to the block and then most of my under hood accessories are powered by it
woowoopic.jpg

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
It's fine to power the toggle off of the (ign) or (accs) port in the fuse panel? Should I run an inline fuse to the toggle? Do I need an inline fuse going to the distribution block from the battery? So I can just run jumper wires from the 1st toggle down to the others? Like in series?

drwoowoowoo

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2007
Ft Worth Texas
They make a switch that has an extra terminal on the back. I cant seem to find it right not, They are a parallel design the power is jumped from switch to switch regardless if they are on or not. I would run a larger wire from the power to the 1st switch to help out depending on how many switches you are using. It is up to you on the inline fuse for the block. As long as it is big enough to handle the load you pull from it, there should be nothing to worry about other than a chafed wire...
Im no wiring expert these are just some suggestions you know. I know what works for me. They make smaller blocks with 2 posts, i would take your KOP (Key on Power) and supply the block with that, makes is cleaner IMO
555-10521_2.jpg

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You oughta be fine triggering all the relays off the same port on the fuse panel, the coil inside the relay probably doesn't pull more than 200mA tops. I would probably daisy chain the ign. switched power across the toggles (some have screw-type terminals instead of being regular spades), and put a 5-10A fuse inline with those (closer to the fuse block the better imo). I actually have the same block that woowoowoo is talking about on my Sonoma, just stuck it in there because I wanted to add a couple heavy grounds for stuff. How many accessories are you thinking about running?

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
i run all my toggles for relays off one spot in the fuse panel.

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
Well, let me see. toggle for electric fuel pump, toggle for electric fan, and a toggle for electriv water pump for now. So just run an inline fuse to the fuse panel port then connect to 1st toggle, then from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd? Does it matter if it is a accessory port or constant port since it is switched anyways?
And for the battery distribution block like the one Jegs has? You hook the input wire from the battery to one side and all the other circuits connect to the other stud? Does it have a jumper terminal underneath so that the current is flowing from one stud to the other? I want to do this so I can mount everything nice and neat. Do I need a ground distribution block from the netative of the battery or I can just ground them out of sight to clean metal?

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
if you veer away from automotive and into the marine electronics
you can find awsome more durable parts for these applications

I found on Ebay many marine parts,studs,junction blocks,fuse panels etc
that blow race stuff away and are pretty cheap

also check out..
http://www.racewiring.com/ great stuff,and does custom parts

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
It doesnt matter where in the fuse box...either IGN or a switches acc. port. yes you can jump from one to the other on the toggles. as far as the jegs stud...not sure on how its set up. i ground all my item...(fan,pumps...etc) closest to where they are.

MadMike

Dragway Regular
Mar 22, 2006
Jackson, Ohio
Thx. I got it. I will probably just to to the Shack and pick up everything. Lots of help as usual. Thx. guys.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts