Lining up fenders & doors

veltboy618

Weekend Racer
Nov 12, 2009
Granite City, IL
My car is looking a lot like this one by that way it is broke down. My doors were leaning before I took them off & the corners of the fenders on both sides close to the windshield were sticking up a little bit. If the door would have been straight the fenders still would have been too high where they meet the doors. I'm going to install new bushings & pins in the door hinges but I'm sure the fenders will still be too high. How do I fix this when I'm putting everything back together & what is the easiest way to line everything up?

25099210048_large.jpg

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
Align your doors first using the rocker panel & quarter panel as the reference for straight. The fenders can be shimmed up and down and in and out. I just aligned my doors this weekend and it was a PITA, but enough patience gave me a nice even 1/4" gap all around.

veltboy618

Weekend Racer
Nov 12, 2009
Granite City, IL
81classic said:
Align your doors first using the rocker panel & quarter panel as the reference for straight. The fenders can be shimmed up and down and in and out. I just aligned my doors this weekend and it was a PITA, but enough patience gave me a nice even 1/4" gap all around.
Where do i have to shim to pull the edge of the fender that meets the door down?

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Shims will all be where the mounting bolts are located.

It's a trial and error job.

Example: No shims top and bottom on the rear mounting points will usually push the fender "out" in the middle where it meets the door.

Be sure to use slotted body shims and not washers for this or you will be REALLY used up by the time you make it all fit.

PATIENCE!

8)
bukweet

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
veltboy618 said:
81classic said:
Where do i have to shim to pull the edge of the fender that meets the door down?

Depending on how your gap is between the door and fender there should be 2 places to adjust. If the gap at the top is larger than the bottom there will be shims under the tall bolt that bolts to the cowl area. If the whole fender needs to move up or down vertically the front of the fender is actually adjusted by shims under the core support

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Sometimes the doors are racked (warped corner to corner) and that requires tweaking the door to get the fenders to align properly.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
10secBu said:
Sometimes the doors are racked (warped corner to corner) and that requires tweaking the door to get the fenders to align properly.

true statement there, My door was a little tweaked at the lower rear, ended up using a piece of wood at the bottom and pushed in the top... worked like a charm to straighten it all out

jmerc

Amateur Racer
Sep 23, 2009
staten island, ny
The drivers door on my 1988 Monte SS sticks out on the rear lower edge. the alignment along the fender line looks good as does the upper level at the window line. It latches closed perfectly and the hinges are not loose or sagging. Its just the bottom rear of the door that sticks out about 1/2 inch. Seems like the door is twisted, is this possible?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
jmerc said:
The drivers door on my 1988 Monte SS sticks out on the rear lower edge. the alignment along the fender line looks good as does the upper level at the window line. It latches closed perfectly and the hinges are not loose or sagging. Its just the bottom rear of the door that sticks out about 1/2 inch. Seems like the door is twisted, is this possible?

very possible.

I'd look in the door jamb at the rear corner to make sure there are no wrinkles or buckles indicating quarter panel damage covered up.

If that checks out you can twist the door back, but care has to be taken. If the door has alot body filler twisting could pop it loose.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!