how hard is it to replace a roof?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Do you need the hole roof or just the outer skin ? Ether way a good body man with welding skills should be able to do

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
I still don`t think it would be all that hard. Cut it at the C pillar(if thats what its called) Thats where you would cut it to replace the complete quarter panel. Then cut it some where at the A pillar. That would be a good time to chop the top a few inches. Doug

veltboy618

Weekend Racer
Nov 12, 2009
Granite City, IL
No it's not too hard! Here is how I have done it. First of all, pull the windshield, Back window & the quarter windows then measure, measure & measure again. Make sure its from a good spot below the windshield to the top of the body above the windshield on both side in the front & back. Also measure a spot on the b-pillars. Put your braces on the inside of the car so the body doesn't fold over once cut. Mark where you will be cutting on both pieces but make your cuts. Cut along the the lines where the top was put on from the factory. Measure from all of your points on the body up to get the exact location of where the top will be & tack it in place. Tack all the way around On the outside & inside the car. Remove the braces & grind the welds down. Do bodywork & roll out. Here are a few pics from a hardtop cutlass I made a t-top. Sorry I didn't get beginning to end. Hope it helps

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Excellent photo instruction. Did that once on a 73 Lemans years ago.

With today's adhesives there is another way if there are no rust issues.

If the inner structure is good you could just "skin" it.

Cut your replacement roof panel skin out to the drip rail and to the front and back glass. Cut the damaged original a couple of inches less or inside toward the middle. Remember cut just the panels, not the supports.

Grind the edges and support areas clean, apply the approiate panel bond and replace the cutaway skin with the new one.

Finish the edges and you're there.

My nephews bodyshop,and others do this all the time on hail damaged panels.

8)
bukweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts