Wagon Rear Bumper Fillers?

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Hey Guys, I'm looking for a set of rear bumper fillers for my wagon. The ones that are on there are so brittle that they break as soon as you look at them the wrong way.

I tried OPG, but they only have them for the el camino and sedan. The ones for the sedan say specifically 'except wagon'. I also compared the wagon ones (whats left of them) to a friend of mine who has an El Camino and they are different, the EL ones are a bit more narrow.

Now I know I could go the route of a roll pan, but I'm going for the sleeper look and want to keep the front and rear chrome bumpers.

Will the sedan ones work? Does anyone know what the difference is? I also tried eBay with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
The bumper fillers are wagon specific. You'll have to find either Chevy or Pontiac Lemans/ Bonneville fillers. The Olds and Buick wagon fillers are different.
Or you can do what I did...removed the fillers all together and narrowed and tucked the bumpers.
MVC-808S.jpg

MVC-807S.jpg

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Longroof79 said:
The bumper fillers are wagon specific. You'll have to find either Chevy or Pontiac Lemans/ Bonneville fillers. The Olds and Buick wagon fillers are different.
Or you can do what I did...removed the fillers all together and narrowed and tucked the bumpers.
MVC-808S.jpg

MVC-807S.jpg
that looks waaay better than a roll pan,nice job \:D/

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
That does look good! Did you do the same in the front and do you have pics?

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Yes, I did the front as well. Alittle different though.
MVC-848S-1.jpg

MVC-822S.jpg

MVC-825S.jpg

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Looks good! Thanks for posting those pics. The car is in the body shop currently, I'm going to bring these pics to them and see what they can do.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Incidentally, my car was originally from northern NJ. It came from Boonton.
As for narrowing and tucking the bumpers. It was a time consuming job. If you're seriously considering doing it, I'll try to narrow down what it entailed. Unless the body shop owner is a friend of yours, it could get pretty expensive time wise.

I'd offer my rear fillers, but they weren't in the greatest shape either. Rather than replace them, I decided this was the way I was going to go.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
How funny, I'm in northern NJ and only about 20 min from Boonton.

The body shop is a friend of mine, but I'll have to see if this is something he want to attempt.

Thanks for the offer on the fillers, but after seeing how yours came out, its' definitely something I want to do now. It should have come from the factory that way! Unless you know Malbu's, it's something you'll never notice. Very cool.

Scott

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Wagon Master said:
How funny, I'm in northern NJ and only about 20 min from Boonton.

The body shop is a friend of mine, but I'll have to see if this is something he want to attempt.

Thanks for the offer on the fillers, but after seeing how yours came out, its' definitely something I want to do now. It should have come from the factory that way! Unless you know Malbu's, it's something you'll never notice. Very cool.

Scott

Small world, isn't it? Being that the shop owner is your friend, you might be able to coerce him into helping doing the bumpers. I've wanted to accomplish the bumper work for a long time. I never really cared for the way the bumpers stuck out on our cars. When I first saw this done on a few wagons, I said this is what I want to do. It's taken several years to get around to it, but being that the whole car was going for a make-over, this was the time to do it.
It is a subtle change. Not too drastic or over the top. I agree, the cars should have come this way from the factory. I'm sure the new bumper laws had alot to do with that.
Show your friend the pics and see what he thinks.
This is a thread about narrowed and tucked bumpers. That might also inspire you.
Let me know if there's anything you need to know, etc. BTW, I'm Jack.
Nice talking to you, Scott.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I have to say I love what Jack did, and I've droolled over the pics for a while. If you don't want to cut the bumpers you can just collapse the bumper shocks and remove the filler pieces. Then push the bumpers up and in towards the body, that is what I did with my El Camino. I didn't feel up to cutting the bumpers and I really didn't want to have paited bumpers after taking years to find chrome ones hahaha.
My bumpers look a little tweeked in the pics for some reason :roll:
550117_782297991715_106088758_n.jpg

548333_770391851715_748290200_n.jpg

In real life they look really good, but in cell phone pics its hard to tell where it is a shadow or where it is a gap with the flat black paint #-o
Jess

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!