new paint question

prostreet66

Dragway Regular
Oct 18, 2008
waterloo iowa
Im looking to get my 66 painted around september or so....which would have it back to me by december or november...i dont have a heated shop and it gets pretty cold in iowa, will this be an issue with fresh body work and paint? Any tips would be great

TTLSX418

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
You don't want it to be very cold or very hot when you're painting, mostly you just want it to be 100% dry air and in between 60-70 degrees.

Days like that are hard to come buy in the south when 90% of the days have humidity rates at 100%. Personally Fall and Spring are going to be the best times to paint. Fall, especially, because with spring you get a lot of pollen in the air which can trash up your paint if you aren't using a booth and make your own makeshift spray tent.

If you have a booth or whoever is painting it has a booth they'll be able to control all aspects of the paintjob from filtration, temperature, and time to cure. I let my stuff cure 4-5 days before i wet sand it, some people wait 3, some people wait a week. You can pretty much wait as long as you want to wet sand it.

It also depends on how many coats of color and clear you're applying. I have 3 coats color and 4 coats clear on my s10, a thicker paint job has longer flash periods between coats and needs more time to cure after it's finished. After you wet sand it, get yourself a good weatherproof car cover and take care of your paint and it should last. If you're still not sure, talk to the guy who is painting it and get his input.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!